Body suppliers and top installation question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Body suppliers and top installation question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 02:21 am:

Did the body suppliers furnish the open car bodies with tops already installed or was that done at the assembly plants or even the dealers?
What little I know says NO. The open car bodies were furnished without tops yet I really do not know.
Would you help?
I'm trying to justify using what I have.
A 7-17 No-Name Runabout body and a 15-17 set of oval top irons and curved bows that came with.
?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 07:01 am:

Duey,

Summary:

1. For a USA, Canadian, or English Runabout assembled in May 1917 the top would have been furnished with the car from the factory.

2. Oval bows would be typical for 1917 model year cars with most sources stating the rectangular bows are typical for 1918 model year cars. Note I'm sure they did not change all the production locations exactly on a single date.
There would have been some overlap. But with a May engine serial number and assuming it was assembled with a month or two it would be considered a 1917 model year and the oval top bows are a typical feature.

ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1918.htm TOP: (Open cars). Top color was black on all open cars. Similar in style to the 1917 but now with rectangular cross-section irons.

Note the 1909 Model Ts the tops were optional ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1909.htm TOP: (Open cars) Optional equipment. More than one supplier. Some had wool linings, generally in a dark red color. Top color was black on the Touring, and either black or gray on the Runabout. Top sockets were oval in cross-section and fastened to a forged railing on the body. Top sockets curved outward from the body.

Also by 1917 the open car bodies were usually upholstered and the top fitted at the Ford assembly plant.

You might also check the right front floor board riser and if the wood has not been replaced, you might find a body letter and number and also a date the body was made. One of our cars had the original wood and that is visible. The other one - not so much. Please see the posting “Home for the Holidays” at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40322.html for additional details on where to look and what you might find.

No-Name Runabout -- that could still be a name... "Noname." By the way if you give your car a name they are more likely to let you see that they are alive... please see the thread: Are T’s really alive? At: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/763593.html Otherwise they are likely to be really quiet if they see you….

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

"Also by 1917 the open car bodies were usually upholstered and the top fitted at the Ford assembly plant."
Bingo. That's what I was looking for.
Been there on trying to name the body mfgr. It has the date and a serial but no ID letter to be found. :-)
Possibly a Milwaukee assembled car.
Thanks much Hap! :-)
That T (Tin Cup) is very much alive and it's mad that I'm so slow. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 09:53 am:

I don't believe they came with saddles though, I am the third owner of a Canadian 1926 touring and it came with rubber plugs where the saddles go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

David - the removable top saddles came with the one man top style in 1923, so the question whether all open cars got their top saddles separate among the tools or if they had to be bought extra is only a question for the last five model years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 10:25 am:

The rubber plugs started in 1922. I believe what Roger says above is correct. Just another way Ford was able to save money. The plugs are available from Langs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration