Bendix not engaging

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bendix not engaging
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Houben on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 02:59 am:

Need some help in diagnosing the issue with my bendix. It suddenly stopped engaging. Starter motor still spinning. Attached a picture after I opened the cover. Seems the gear has not returned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 05:04 am:

Where is the shaft and woodruf key?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Houben on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 05:48 am:

Found it like this when I remove the cover.Took another picture which looks more inside the ID with the keyway. Should I take it apart to find out what happened ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 08:06 am:

Yes! And before you install the new key, check its fit, both in the starter shaft and the collar slot. If there are any burrs that interfere with the smooth installation of the key, the key will slip out while you're installing the collar and drop inside the transmission. Then the only thing keeping the bendix from spinning on the shaft will be the locking bolt on the collar, and it isn't strong enough to withstand the starter torque for long.

If you find any burrs, carefully file them off so that the key slips fully into the shaft and collar slots.

Been there, done that! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Drone-Ypsilanti, MI on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 08:13 am:

The bendix has slipped off the end of the starter shaft. Remove the bolt at the end of the shaft. Slide the bend off. You need to check the key, the keyway and make sure that the bolt still has the little bump on the end of it for going in the hole that is about 90 degrees to the keyway.
It looks like the numb may worn off the end of the bolt.

Clear as mud?

Patrick
Ypsi,Michigan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 08:50 am:

Paul
here are two photos of the Bendix drive parts that will help you understand how the parts go together.
It also appears your car has a Model A Bendix drive spring and the drive head bolt has sheared off. A Model A Bendix drive spring can be installed on a Model T Bendix drive, but it will not work correctly.
Here is a photo of the correct bolts and keepers.
I suggest you get a new Model T Bendix drive spring, the proper bolts/keepers, new starter armature shaft Woodruff key and repairing this should be fairly easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Houben on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Hi Ron. Thanks for anylizing my issue in such detail. Pictures are very helpfull. Any suggestion for the best source to buy the parts ? Are you selling them ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Paul
I know for a fact that Lang's Old Car Parts has all the "correct" Bendix drive parts you need. www.modeltford.com
I do not sell individual parts to the Model T hobby, only fully rebuilt electrical parts.
Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

I have a new bolt with the nub. I just bought both of them from Langs but I needed the other one. I'll mail it to you if you want it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

And the lock washers are very important! I bought extras 'cause I don't like bending them more than twice, I don't remember why I had to remove the cover one time but sure glad I did as one tab had broken off and the bolt was ready to come clear out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Got one of those too!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration