Giving Good/GREAT Advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Giving Good/GREAT Advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 12:48 am:

I decided to post this here in a separate thread after reading a few others posted by New Prospective Model T car owners. Please consider the level of experience of the poster when giving advice.

Some of you guys know I like to support certain T options and have developed my own preferences about oil, gas, coils, bands and everything else but when a new guy is asking about a car I feel this is not the time to start arguing issues.

It's time to post educational content so a new owner can make decisions about the purchase he is wanting to make.

We need to consider when the Poster is a New Person like someone looking for his first car that the thread doesn't get into a pissing match over which is better...

A new person likely has no idea about either option and the one discussed about bands in another thread did not give the tried and true Cottonwood Bands that many other guys love even a word.

I recently received a PM from a poster asking me a question that he was afraid to post because he didn't want to start a War?? In a way this is sad because now he only got the info from one member and not the collective advice of our group of experts..

FWIW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 12:55 am:

Well said Gene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 12:56 am:

Gene...I totally agree!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 06:20 am:

Thank you Gene! Very well said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:14 am:

Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Excellent Gene! And when you stop learning, you stop living. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Yup,After all they were/are all the same.By the same token we are all the same,and live in the same part of the country.You can have anything on or do any mod to your model T and it will be perfect as long as it is like mine??? Do we really all need to think the same,and give the same advise? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 09:27 am:

I agree. And some of the "one word" or "one sentence" answers do not help either. Sometimes "one word" is enough to convey an answer, but for an answer to a newbie, it probably is not a good choice. (Mike W. Im not picking on you :-) :-), your one word "Yes" answer above was very sufficient for this discussion) ..... have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 10:56 am:

When I look at all the names on this post and say which one do I want to use- heck I will put them all in a sack and -shake them up and use a little bit of all of them as they can't all be right or wrong!!!!!!!!!
I was once a "NEWBY " and I learned a lot and now I am old former "NEWBY"!

MHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Bowen on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Thanks Gene, some of us need the stamp "NEWBY".

I am not a "T" owner YET but, I am going to be. I have learned a great deal on this site already.

I have learned that this is a simply complicated machine, that just works.

I love it, I am a car guy deep into my bones.

But I don't know what I don't know and I want to learn. I also want a "T" badly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Just be courteous ....

Some folks engage in discourse on public forums that is a far cry from " civilized ".

They would not dare to take their tone on the internet with someone in the real world .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

Couldn't agree more. -While there are several old masters here on the forum, there are much many more newbies like myself who come here for advise and aren't really qualified to pick and choose who is right when two or more old pros quarrel over an issue with hammer and tongs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

Bud, NO, we all have our own likes and dislikes. We each can make our car the way we want. You and I might not like what somebody else does to their car but that's what makes our world so fun.

I don't think anyone says yours has to be like mine but when the poster asking for opinions and doesn't find out all the options but instead reads comments from guys bashing and bad mouthing all the other posts he is sometimes turned off.

This was the simple idea that I wanted to refresh to everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

For instance: there's a post up there now concerning coils vs. distributor as in spending $ to get one over the other. Opinions varey on a topic like this but it's plain to most that one system isn't a huge improvement over the other. Power or operation wise. Attempts at trying to convince the poster (who may be a bit light on knowledge) not to spend cash on a new system as opposed to repairing whatever he has is really the best bet. You can lead a horse...ect. ect. Opinions MUST be posted and the original poster makes up his mind based on what he/she reads. It's a Forum after all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Bowen on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

I added to that post put just as information as people brought up stuff I didn't understand. I would research it and post what I found.

I do not know enough about any of it to make a comment of what is good or not.

Just providing research

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Well said Gene. I've also received various "pms " from people for the same reasons
All the best

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

I'm always particularly amused when I offer a thought out fact based opinion that is contrary to someone else's and they incorrectly interpret that as "bashing" and "bad mouthing" or "you're a know it all". These folks become instantly offended when you offer an alternative to their tunnel vision.

For many centuries people believed that the Earth was flat because that is what they were told for countless generations...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Contrary to popular belief, the Earth is also not round!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-is-not-round/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

Gene, thank you for the reminder. And thanks to all of you who make our forum so helpful and hobby so much fun. Many of us try, but I know first hand it is all too easy for me to type something I would never say face to face to someone. I like Tim McGraw singing Lori McKenna’s “Humble and Kind.” The story behind the song as well as the song is at: http://theboot.com/tim-mcgraw-humble-and-kind-lyrics/ . I find reflecting on something like that is helpful. And also remembering to try and “Post for the good of the hobby” helps me to not post when I’m already running late, the computer is giving me grief, and I’ve had hard etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

Some people state their opinions as settled empirical facts, and denigrate those with differing notions as foolish or having ill intent. Happily, such posts are rare. When certain perennial discussions arise (Water pump or no? Which band linings? Which oil?) I don't see the many varying opinions as a "war" or a urination festival. If they don't contain ad hominem comments, I see them as just differing opinions, mostly worth about what you pay for them. If you happen to be one of those folks who are reluctant to post because it might start a row, I would offer these observations. 1 A difference of opinions is just a difference of opinions. It's not a fight unless somebody makes it personal. If it is a fight, it takes two: the first offender and the one who takes the bait. 2 Because written remarks are not always clear and are open to interpretation, sometimes folks take offense where none was intended. 3 Don't sweat the small stuff; this is all small stuff.

If you have a question to ask or a comment to share, go ahead. You might actually get some pertinent and useful information. And if somebody posts a clearly negative reaction, it tells about them, not about you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 02:59 am:

We are ALL sick and wrong. What kind of losers drive such old, rickety death traps anyway ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 04:31 am:

Steve,

Would that be the Wichita Urination Festival that is infrequently held contingent upon event friendly weather allowing for the Yellow Snow Decorating Contest to run concurrently?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Definitely not round...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

Is Pluto still a planet?

This is not my opinion but rather a factual statement: Kevlar- "because of its high tensile strength-to-weight ratio it is 5 times stronger than steel". (Yes, I still realize that factual statements can cause an uproar on the forum)

This is why folks who use Kevlar don't experience a lot wear and why it can be troublesome to use Kevlar as a transmission band.

Also, please take notice that I didn't say that it will destroy your car nor did I bash anyone using Kevlar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Uh.....i must have missed something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Kahle on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

This all gives me a headache, I think I'll just have a cup of nice warm MMO and wait for it to blow over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

Burger, I know it's dumb and sick and wrong, but I can't help myself. It's compulsive behavior, and I know I'm a loser; I've made all the wrong life choices like opting to live out in the sticks on a hard-scrabble acreage and swing a hammer in town instead of working in a corporate cubicle, preferring corral poles to vinyl fencing and leather, cast iron, solid wood, brass, wool and cotton over synthetic materials. A Model T feeds all these unhealthy impulses. It's too late for me, maybe others can be saved before it's too late.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Jeez Tim

Now you're trying to turn an "advice" thread into an other rant about how folks on the forum don't like facts.

Brother, we all quit that last thread: you win, you're right, no one has the strength or even interest to continue that discussion. Can you just move on and give it a rest?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Apparently you cannot...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Boy some folks sure know how to put the argumentum back into the ad hominem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Boyles on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

See, that's why I sent Gene a private message in the first place. Just kidding, I'm laughing. Just got home from church, so my mind is right. You guys really are the best, even when you fuss and fight. I'm trying to buy my first Model T so I can get into the club here. Maybe someday, I too can be crusty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Dare I post this?
Back in the early 80's, we played Dungeons and Dragons. Hahaha! We really did. The rule book, the dice and the mental experience.
I opted to be a neutral as even then I could see both sides of a story. Thankfully. :-)
I don't agree with everything posted but I do say one thing. Pluto IS STILL one of the planets in this solar system. It's a planet!

That said, I like to see new people asking age old questions too. It makes me THINK! :-)
Sometimes I'll type for an hour or more and then X out of that thread for fear of.... retribution... hell... feeling out of place.
I ain't no guru but I ain't really a slouch neither. I built my life around mechanical things... and I think respected in my old field.
Then other times I don't care about posting what I feel and do post...
Yet I shun away from some of the arguments.
Even contrarion views can be done successfully if worded correctly. I do try.
"You don't need to pull the engine to change the main clutch pack." Contrarian?
With a drill and a bench grinder you CAN grind your valves. Contrarian? OK, that's odd but if you have nothing?
Contrarian, I am...
More often, willing to help.
And we must give the best info we can, from our experience, when asked.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 11:23 am:

I've said it many times, I read this forum daily for the comedy as much as anything. That said, remember guys, don't sweat the petty stuff. And for goodness sake, don't pet the sweaty stuff.

It's an overcast day here in Florida and not quite as hot as some. I think I'll crank up my rickety old death trap and wobble up and down the road for a while. See if I can block some traffic. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Hey Duane, I've ground many Model A valve stems with a bench grinder and a wooden "V" block, and the engines are still running decades later!
We used to call it "Yankee Ingenuity" (as opposed to "Shade tree mechanicing") Reminds me, could use some more shade trees around here--112 predicted today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

Hi Bob

72 and sunny in NW WY. No traffic in sight. Don't miss the humidity, but do miss our friends.

best regards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

David, I DO feel a bunch better about hand grinding valves now! Whew, thought I was the only one to admit it.
Jimmeny, how do you folks handle that heat? Yuck. Cold here today in MN and it just broke 72 degrees. Ahhh.
Robert, that's just too funny! May you safely block a ton of traffic! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration