Drive shaft rear spool

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Drive shaft rear spool
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 07:34 am:

I've noticed looking at pictures of model T's online, that there is a grease cup at the rear spool of the drive shaft. I have a 26-27 but do not see a place for a grease cup. Am I missing it or does this year not have one? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 07:38 am:

I've never come across that Rick, the spool bearing is lubed by the diff oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Thanks. I have a pic but can't resize on my phone. I appreciate the response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Maybe you've seen a closed spool that was used up until 1920? They have a stop screw for the replaceable bearing sleeve inside. The later style open spool didn't have any separate sleeve and thus no need for a stop screw.

sleeve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Only the early '09s have a grease cup in the spool area, but no spool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 10:28 am:

That's it! I'm finding its better to double check these things!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

I saw a pic on here a few days ago of a '15 closed spool axle that had a grease cup in it where the bolt should be. I didn't ask...
Perhaps it was meant to look reminiscent of the VERY early rear axles...
I knew they have no spools but didn't know about the grease cup...
Like these guys basically say above, you're good to go. :-)
Dumb question maybe. Have you had your rear axle apart for Babbitt thrust washer replacement? Told ya it was dumb. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration