Safety wiring my ring gear bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Safety wiring my ring gear bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 11:32 am:

My ring gear bolts are properly torqued so I attempted to safety wire them this morning. The roll of wire that I have had for 30+ years seemed too big. I believe it is 14ga. I got a roll of 18ga to take home this evening. I think it will work better. I may need to practice a couple of times before I get it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

I prefer to use the "modern" stainless steel safety wire used in aircraft comes in .020 .032 & .040 and has a very high tinsel strength. YMMV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

I got the ring gear bolts wired and the diff bolts cotter pinned. I packed the LH inner bearing and put the axle/diff assy in the left housing. Next step is to install the gasket and put the right housing on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Falconer, Saskatchewan, Canada on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 02:42 am:

Aren't the differential bolts supposed to be wired too?

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 03:44 am:

Alex, there are two styles depending on the year of the T - earlier T's had studs, and the nuts should thus be wired together so the studs can't turn. Later T's has three bolts holding the differential together and they can be cotter pinned.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration