Brass Carburetor Rebuild Problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brass Carburetor Rebuild Problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Am I the only person that ever had a problem getting a brass carb rebuilt?

I bought this Stromberg FO about two years ago and was told it was a new old stock carb.

None of the small nickel screws had any marks of a screwdriver on them and it was complete with the two nickel plated domed head mounting bolts, which I removed and kept.

Now that is all I have for a rather large investment.

I thought it was a rather easy rebuild and was told it would take about 60 days.

The carb was mailed on February 8, 2017.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

James, I returned the carb you sent me as far as my records show. I have never seen a new old stock early style OF and the one you sent me did not appear to be new old stock. Here is a photo of it setting on the shelf after it came out of clean up/bead blast and got your name written on it. It is possible there was a mixup but I don't think so. It is not an early style. However, I could be wrong. I went through several hundred carburetors last year and it is always possible I made a mistake.

I am sorry you are unhappy and I am doing everything I can to make it right.

Tell you what I'll do. I'll put you a carburetor in the mail along with a check for what you paid for the rebuild. Maybe you can do another deal where I have to get paid part of it from somebody who owes you money and try to keep up with all the BS.

You can send it to somebody who will listen to you rant, answer every email in a timely manner and do the quality of work you desire and demand.

When I shut this business down you go look in the mirror and say "There used to be a guy in Montana who did wonderful work on carburetors but he got tired of dealing with demanding people who could not understand that this was supposed to be a part time business and he was doing everything he could to accommodate the hundreds of customers as well as the hundreds of phone calls and emails from people wanting advice."

As I have announced on the forum several weeks ago, I am trying to wade through the backlog and am not accepting any repair work until I get caught up. I cannot work 16 hours a day like I used to, I am in the middle of haying season, I have the biggest collector car auction in Montana this year. I will be 75 this Christmas.

I don't know who is going to fix your carburetor but it will no longer be me.

I will have you a carburetor and a check in the mail before the day is over.

Again, I apologize if I did make a mistake but the serial number on the invoice I typed when I got back from Lethbridge where I had to get Les to pay me the balance on the rebuild matched the carb I sent you.

God himself can't win some days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

I got up at 6 am after working last night until after 11 and going to get something to eat. I had to run to Lincoln to cover some things for the auction this morning. I have been in the shop since about 11 after a 200 mile morning. I'm trying to get a carb to run that was rebuilt by somebody else first. I have company here from out of town. I just got a call about a couple hay swathers I have for sale. I have spent at least an hour and a half on the phone today coaching people on how to adjust a carb to get it to run better and how to rebuild one because I told them not to send it because I am too busy to even look at it.

It's a good thing I can type about 80 words a minute because I'm about to fall asleep sitting in front of the damned computer.

I have hours to go and company from out of town here tonight. I can't keep this up. I'm about to the point Where I'm looking forward to a stroke or heart attack so I can get a day off.

If anybody else has a carburetor here that they want back just let me know. I'll have it in the mail with a check as soon as I can but right now I'm headed back to the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Stan, not being from the country what is a hay swather?

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

www.montanabarncars.com / swathers

One of my other businesses along with my ranches and the auction business and playing music and playing music and doing radio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

Here is the auction business website: www.frontrangeauctions.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Thanks, I have seen those but never what they were called.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

If I was a supplier and had one customer with a complaint, I would say "shame on them."

If I was a supplier and had multiple customers with complaints, I would say "shame on me".

I don't know who is right or wrong in this situation, but maybe both parties need to realistically evaluate the situation and their involvement.

A supplier or service provider should never make excuses nor get into explanations of issues that do not relate to the problem at hand. Remember it is usually the customer who is out the money if he/she paid for the service or product up front.

A customer should have realistic expectations based on what was promised and what was delivered regarding product and service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 06:27 pm:

I'm 4-1/2 years younger than Stan, and get tired just reading about all the stuff he does. Add in the generous advice he freely gives on this forum at 80 WPM. I'm grateful for your help Stan, thank you again, and don't let 'em get to you !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Ron, tell you what. Fire up a carb business and go for it. I'll sell you my tools, my inventory and you can do what I did, figure out how to do this. I have about 3,000 carbs on the road and in museums all over the world from Russia to Japan to South Africa and the Indy Motor Museum and a bunch more I can't remember. As far as I know I have 3 or possibly 4 unhappy customers and all the rest of them are happy, in many cases driving cars that haven't run for years because the carb was shot.

One of them is this guy because he wanted it back in 60 days and it took me longer than that to get it done. He claims it is a different carb than he sent in. I don't think so but am willing to do whatever it takes to make him happy except spend another hour on the phone being bitched at.

I offered to return his money when he bitched about it taking too long.

I do not PROMISE any return dates. The people who have a problem are usually people who ASSUME their work is more important than anybody else's and that I should let other work go so I can get to theirs.

I dunno who is going to do this in the future but I'm pretty sure I'm going to hang this up while I have several thousand happy customers and only 3 or 4 unhappy ones. I am too fat to bend over far enough to kiss anything and too old to figure I have to.

I have a standing offer on my web site to return any carb and the payment if I am unable to get it out when they think I should.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

I see mine in the line up. It already looks better than when I sent it......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

Stan, I returned that carb to you as it is not even the same type that I sent to you.

That carb with my name on it is not the one I sent to you.

I never knew there was more than one type, until you sent that one to me.

I never did rant nor rave, I only asked you for an update of when I might expect the correct carb to be returned to me when I phoned you.

Then you went into a tirade about how busy you were and hung up the phone.

You evidently need that carb worse than I do, just keep it and forget it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Stan- In my post above, I clearly stated I did not know who was right or wrong in this matter.

I also stated that the customer should have realistic expectations.

The fact that you would attack my post speaks volumes.

What does me starting a carburetor business have to do with anything? When did I mention I wanted to start a carburetor business? I am not in the carburetor business nor will I ever be in the carburetor business nor do I want to be in the carburetor business.

You are in the carburetor business Whether you quit, retire, or whatever it is you do, you presumably took someone's money for carburetor service which automatically makes YOU in the carburetor business. The carburetor business has nothing to do with the auction business, the haywhatever business, or the song and dance business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Moderator needs to end this post!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Been down that road James.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

From this it's easy to see how a customer might get the wrong impression with respect to turnaround time:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 12:39 am:

I want to thank Stan for all the great service he has provided to T hobby. I am grateful for what he has done for me and the decent honest service I've received.
Stan
Perhaps in the fall you want to come down with us to our winter place. Bring your guitar and we can all have some fun!!
Best regards
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 01:04 am:

I'm with Les. The carb I sent to Stan came back nicer than I expected and I'm confident it will run as good as it looks. This is a HOBBY to enjoy- not a life and death race to the bottom. I've run into a few cheats and dishonest folks in my 45+ years in this hobby, but Stan is a gentleman's gentleman from what I can tell in my dealings with him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:40 am:

I'd like to ditto what Dan and others have said about the positive aspects in relying on and working with Stan on the rebuilds of 100 year old carburetors for our antique vehicles. I've bought several from Stan and my expectations of the rebuilt carburetors has always been exceeded by him. The old saying that you can't turn a pigs ear into a silk purse has been proven wrong over and over again by Stan's craftsmanship. I've learned in the past with everything old and obsolete that it takes time. Stan thank you for helping me enjoy my cars with your quality rebuilds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 09:31 am:

My take is you can't have thin skin if you're in the business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williamson on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 10:32 am:

It has been said by Les, Dan and John. This is a hobby, we should be very thankful for the access to the skills and dedication of people like Stan and numerous others. I'm a small metal fabrication operator, I'm 69 years old, I've reached the point in life, that I will do anything I can to serve and please those who are pleasant to deal with and show appreciation for my efforts, all others need to look somewhere else... If we woke up tomorrow, without the Stan's and numerous others, I and a lot of others would be very disappointed. Thank you Stan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

I just wish I knew half of what Stan knows about Carburetors, Ruckstells, .......

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration