Gas valve

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas valve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

I installed a new gas valve about a year ago. And I'm having a problem with the valve. I can't turn the handle without using a pair of pliers. Is there any way I can loosen up the valve handle so I can turn it by hand again?

https://www.modeltford.com/i/c/1496l.jpg

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Yes.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ezturnlube.php

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2902LUB.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Buy the other kind with the big fat round handle. I have never had a problem with that style. They cost more, but cheaper than the other valve plus the lube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Some sources might say take it apart and put some regular soap or the "snot" from the soap dish on the parts, put it back together and leave the pliers in your pocket for a couple years...
The ancient valve on my TT carb is a bit stiff and I should soap it or get some aircraft lube for it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Here's the link to the better valve Tom was talking about. I have one on all 3 of my T's, only one is a bit stiff but I can still move it with my fingers.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/6055.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:07 am:

John - Follow Mark's advice. Not only will it be easy to turn, but it will also ensure leak free operation. It is the ONLY lubricant I use on the fuel system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Thanks for the advice. I've heard about the EZ turn lubricant for working on fuel and oil. So that's the path I will take. I wish I could buy it locally instead of on line. Or is there one of those chain auto parts stores that carry it?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

John - It's considered a specialty product. I've only been able to find it online.

One tube will last you a lifetime and could be an heirloom if you so choose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

I had the same issue with a similar gas valve becoming hard to turn after being on the car about 10 years. Plus it was starting to drip fuel.
The solution was to remove the valve, disassemble it and lap the parts using valve grinding compound. The valve now turns easily by hand (with no lubricant) and the drip is gone. I thought about buying the EZ Turn, but the lapping solved two problems for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

I had the same problem on my 26 that I just fixed a couple of years ago. So I drained all the gas, pulled the whole valve out of the car to try and free it up. No luck with aircraft fuel grease nor lapping. So I start looking elsewhere. Seems our old friend gasohol turned the graphite packing into something resembling tar or glue. Cleaned all the old out and replaced with some Teflon packing, so far so good, been about two months. Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration