TWS Tea cup oil pans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TWS Tea cup oil pans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

What years used the "tea cup" oil pan? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Tom,

From the online encyclopedia:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/E.htm#eng8

1913-1916
3100 (T1526E) Early 1913 cars used the 1912-style pan except that the mounting ears were held with just three rivets (instead of seven). The slotted drain plug was still used. About June 1913 the now-standard design (no deep drain cup, and 15/16" drain plug) appeared. Narrow front "nose" continued until 1917. The two piece inspection plate screw retaining collar appeared in 1913, Replacing the one-piece type used earlier.

And further down it has the "date the factory drawing was changed" and a summary of what was changed:

03-20-13 T816 Oil drain cup. Reduced height 1/16" because C.C. were made shallow and it was easier to change the cup than to change the crankcase

04-22-13 T816 Oil drain cup. Increased the overall height from 1-1/4 to 1-3/8"

10-17-13 T800D C.C. Removed T816 drain cup; now stamped integral with the crankcase. T816 Obsolete.

11-21-13 T800D C.C. Changed oil drain pocket to make joint between stamped flange and oil plug tight.

I read that to be it changed during 1913 calendar year. But the MTFCI judging guidelines suggest around Apr 1913. Another item to check on I guess.

For many questions and just lots of good information the online encyclopedia has some excellent information. Bruce's book and CDs have even more details with photos etc. The introduction to the online encyclopedia is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/intro.htm And it has some good information there also. For example those dates on the drawings it says:

A word of caution, though. Where dates of changes are shown, these dates are those of the change in the drawings, NOT necessarily (or even likely) the dates on which the changes occurred in production. There are cases where a change in the drawing was superseded by another change before the first change was ever made in the part. These dates, therefore, should only be used as a guide for an approximate time of an alteration.

And the contents/index page is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/index.htm I would encourage anyone who hasn't taken a look at it before to check it out.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Hap, ya beat me to it! Re the change in 1913, I have an April 22 '13 engine, and it has the teacup pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Thanks all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration