Left or Right Door?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Left or Right Door?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

This a thread based entirely of curiosity.

Which door do you enter from (if you have the option), and which body style of T does this apply to?

In my limited T experiences, I've done both, and greatly prefer entrance from the passenger side. I hit my head on the top irons exiting from the driver's side and was not too happy..!

I wonder if it differs between open and closed cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Ryan
On my 13 touring I prefer the passenger door BUT it is nice that on a Canadian car I have the choice. When I had my 27 Fordor I generally used the drivers door

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 07:33 am:

With my 1910 Tourer I usually beat the Wife and get in from the passengers side. It saves trying to negotiate a hand brake lever, rear view mirror and the front angled roof support. Sometimes she is in first and refuses to budge so "plan b"
happens!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 07:43 am:

My American Runabout only has one door so no choice for me. When my wife wants to stop at a store, she gets to do the hand cranking. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:31 am:

Passenger side 85% of the time on Tudor, Coupe and '09 Touring. Driver side on speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:52 am:

To enter my primitive pickup I climb up on the driver's side, step over the steering column and side in under the steering wheel from the passenger side :-) (click on my name for a picture of me seated)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 09:11 am:

I have a 22 Roadster so it only has one door. That's the only one I use.

I have two 26 open cars, a Roadster and a Touring. I usually enter the passenger side, but when someone is sitting there I enter the drivers side. I am 5'8" and 35" waist. I can get my butt over the door post while wiggling my feet behind the brake lever and my knees under the steering wheel. I don't know if a bigger person could get in that way.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

I had gotten REAL used to driving the 18 Touring (No driver door). Then one day, we took the Model A to breakfast. She got out, and I instinctively slid across the seat and got out on her side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

It's awkward to throw a leg over from the near side (driver's side) and even worse now I fenced myself out with a running-board rack, so I use the off-side (passenger's side) door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

I always enter from the right, passenger side. I just got into that habit with my first T, a '27 Fordor. On that car the door is quite narrow, and between that, my big feet, the parking brake handle and the steering wheel (no fat man steering wheel on this one), it's just easier to use the right side for entry and exit.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

If you parallel park, the only legal side to get in and out of is the passenger side in some states.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

OT (sorry) Then there are we snobs with Buicks that have "tilt steering". We can get in the right or left but it is right hand drive. There is not much clearance with the wheel tilted down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

That is no less than wonderful !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration