How to remove door panels on a 1924 coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How to remove door panels on a 1924 coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Young on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 01:25 am:

being a newbie how do you remove door panels to get to door locks and lubing window regulaters ? the fabric is new repop and I don't want to damage it. thanks to all for for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 10:09 am:

I have a 24 T Coupe with wood door frames. If your car is a very late 24 it could have metal door frames which Ford used from late 24 on.
If it has wood framed doors the door panels are nailed on usually with small headed nails which blend into the fabric.
That's how mine are anyway.
You care remove the panel using a thin putty or broad knife that you can carefully slip in under the edge of the panel. Slowly pry up and the panels can be lifted up a little at a time.

Hope this will work for you. Others will have other ways but that's how I removed mine when one of the door panels needed adjustment on my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Young on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

thanks john.yes it is wood. built in feb. thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

Finishing nails are used to hold the panels on. When it's time to put them back on, what you do is take the nail and carefully "wiggle" it through the upholstery cloth--the trick is to not cut any material, the nail goes in between the weaves Then you carefully hammer the nail in--with a CLEAN hammer. When the nail is flush with the material, one more careful blow should have it just below the cloth surface, with a little indent in the cloth. Now take a fairly large needle, and work it in next to the nail head so you can Pop the cloth over the nail head. Done right, you shouldn't see any sign of the nail, and no signs of holes in the cloth, and the cardboard panel will be fairly tight to the wood frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Young on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 02:12 am:

thanks for your advice. all I need to do is to is change the door lock and lube the window reg. as they are very hard to turn..thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:26 am:

David D has a good point when putting the panels back on.
I used a Small center punch to drive the finishing nails back in on mine.
Whatever you do use clean tools as David suggested!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Young on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 01:10 am:

just want to thank all that responded to my problem yes I saw today what you are talking about. all of it helped a lot. I also want to thank my mentor for all the help. with out him I would be sunk! thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration