Saw marks on front axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Saw marks on front axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

I found a very small notch in the top front edge of the front axle on my '21 Touring. It is near the center of the axle and is only about 1/32" deep and about the width of a hacksaw blade. It looks about like somebody made 2 passes with a hacksaw. Im wondering if it is a factory mark and what it would have been made for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Farmer's son's mark, maybe? I don't think it was made at the factory and much may have happened over the past 90+ years, especially back when those cars weren't worth much..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

It wouldn't be hard to imagine someone using it as a back stop to cut something else in a pinch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

Not factory.

If it were me, I would take a file and some emery cloth and blend out the notch to a smooth contour. It will reduce the stress concentration and make the notch less noticeable. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

I put a small notch on the back of my front axle before I removed it because I wanted to put it back in the same orientation. I realize that the axle can be installed in either direction but I just wanted to put it back the way it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

Erik that's probably right. Someone probably marked the axle so they could put it back in right.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration