Rear Wheel Wobble

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear Wheel Wobble
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Old topic with a new twist.

With the 1923 demount-able rims car parked in the barn on a concrete floor, I can grab the top of the wheel push and pull and get side to side wobble.

I pulled the hub cap and the axle nut is quite tight.

What's happening in there??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

I would first ask (unless I understood) Is the wheel moving back and forth from one side of the car to the other?

That would be an indication of thrust washers are bad in the rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

No the wheel does not move in and out (the entire axle would be moving) but rather the top can be moved side to side about 1/4-1/2 inch.

Bronze Thrust washers installed about 8 years ago when the rear end was rebuilt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Nut may be tight, but is the wheel tight on the axle? Or is the wheel loose on the hub? I have seen hubs cracked at the rear flange and be loose like that. Jack up rear wheel and is where the play is. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Spokes loose at the hub flange ? Rim lugs loose on the wheel felloe ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

One very common cause is loose spokes. The end length of the spokes shrinks with age and wear. You can tighten up the nuts at the hub but after a while the spokes get loose again because they wear at the hub. A temporary fix which actually lasts a long time with a car which is only driven a few thousand miles a year is to number all the spokes in order around the wheel and then remove the hub and the spokes. You glue a piece of oak veneer to the flat side of every other spoke do the side opposite the bolt hole. Then press the spokes back in. You will now find the spokes tight against the felloe but might be loose at the hub. You can drive in small wood pieces like tongue depressors between the hub and the end of the spokes. Do this all the way around so you don't get the wheel off center of the hub. Now with new bolts tighten them and peen them. This should hold for a long time unless your spokes are rotten and cracked, in which case it is better to replace the spokes.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Spokes are tight.
Rim lugs are tight.

Dan Hatch... Do not understand your response. "Is the wheel tight on the axle". Makes me think of the axle nut but I know that is not what you mean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

I have seen the nut be tight on the axle and the hub still loose on the axle. IE the hub is worn too much to fit axle. BE SURE and check hub for cracks. I have seen too many cracked hubs, yes the steel hub cracks. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Thanks Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Bump to get rid of the spam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Have you found your issue yet John?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration