OT sad story Hudsons.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT sad story Hudsons.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

The Town of Shipshewana Indiana built a building to hous a Hudson collection of 50 Hudsons. $ 8 million investment. They sold the building for $3 million. Museum is loosing money. The collection was donated and now they will be sold spliting up the collection. It was on the local news this evening. The collection estimated value is around $4.3 million. The man that donated this collection is probably rolling in his grave. I dont have all the details but its a sad story. The mans that donated the collection's son works for the museum to help care for the cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Dallas,I consider myself lucky to have seen it 3 or 4 years ago.When we were just down i asked the grandson if he wanted to see it but alas.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

dallas;

Where in Shipshewana is it? I'll be visiting my property in Steuben and plan on stopping by E&S anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

population in 2010 658.Hard to support a museum with those few people - and young ones at that. Not enough tourists for sure. That's a lot of money for a small population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipshewana,_Indiana

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

On one hand might be sad to break up the collection but on the other, maybe the buyers will drive the cars and more people will see them and new owners get some joy too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Museums are nice, but where cars are concerned, "living history" is available at almost any car show. I'd rather see interesting cars in the hands of dedicated individual owners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

I've seen more than my share of immense hoardes of cars, some of them in a museum setting, some not and I've never been a fan.

I'd rather see 100 people owning, driving and repairing 100 cars than zero people driving them while they're roped off for decades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

I would like to own a "mile a minute" 1912 Hudson speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

This IS sad. You guys are also correct.
SOME of the Hudsons will be able to live again, be shown off and get used. SOME will sit and wait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

Gary, its north of E and S on the other side of 5. Shipshewana Town Center.
David, the Flee Market in Shipshewana brings thousands of people from all over the world 2 days a week in the summer months. The entire town is a tourist destination with all the shops.

The younger generation probably doesnt want to see a bunch of weard old cars they have never heard of.

I guess I was poisoned early in life by my dad and uncles. Shoot we even had our high school prom at the Auburn, Chord, Duesenberg meuseum. Yep, girl and old cars ! Doesnt get much better than that at 17.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Here a link to a article about it. http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Classic-Cars-in-Shipshewana-may-have-to-be-sold -off-430013343.html

Hopefully some of us who haven't seen it can before it officially closes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Thanks Matt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

I agree with the notion of the cars being in the hands of caring owners. I was fortunate to have put many miles in the back seat of my Grandfathers 1915 Hudson 6-40 Touring. We went everywhere in that thing. It was a national prize winner in 1960. My grandfather had two cars. The Hudson and a 25 Ford T Coupe which I am lucky enough to own. The Hudson is in the caring hands of Marty Roth. This picture of me in the Hudson was taken in 1977 at Bridgewater, Virginia. I was 13 and in love with everything to do with old cars. Hopefully, those cars from that museum will go into the hands of people who will infect a new generation of Hudson lovers. hudson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

For a long while I thought that museum would end up at Gilmores in Hickory Corners but it never happened. I talked with the owner of those cars on several occasions he talked to me because I was a younger Person interested in brass era cars. Sad for sure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

It's sad but it was said above some of them will be driven again and seen by plenty of people who would have otherwise never got to see a Hudson. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:16 am:

Better for cars to be on the road than in a museum. I don't think I've ever seen a Hudson going down the road around here. I see T's sometimes. I found my 47 Commodore 6 at a used car lot about 9 years ago. People at filling stations always ask about the valve cap over the rear fender. I open the trunk and show them that's how you put air in the spare. If they saw the car in a museum with the trunk closed they'd go around telling how Hudson had air shocks in 1947. Like a lot of people ask me if I have to wind the car when I'm in my T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:21 am:

I also tell them that the spare air was probably dealer installed like the MMO oiler. Not just Hudsons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:41 am:

This kiwi has only been to the USA once, but I have seen that museum. It exceeded my expectations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 02:09 am:

For anyone going to Shipshewana, it's worth visiting the Menohoff center as well and learning about the Amish history. I went right when it opened, then again last year (my deer season ended about 8 am on opening day so I had lots of time left !). there have been a lot of additions since it originally opened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 03:07 am:

This is so heartbreaking to the collector's family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lefeber on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 07:44 am:

Sad to hear. I have been to this museum 3 times and each time I went there, more cars were added to it. I would definitely see it again if I was in the area. Each time I was there, Eldon would personally show you some of the unique features of a couple of the cars. I had the chance to talk to him at the Gilmore Museum and the Iola Car Show. He was a nice guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Hopefully the Hudsons can and wIll be driven somewhere where they can be seen and appreciated.
Popularity and desirability play a HUGE part in the old car hobby.
Time and changing preferences for cars will make a big difference in years to come as time goes by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 11:50 am:

I would have been astonished if that museum did break even. Any time you have a museum that displays mostly one kind of item you are in a niche market. In this case, the museum will appeal mostly to folks who love Hudsons. Even the Ford museum in Dearborn has non-Ford cars and trucks. Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing has things that are not drag racing memorabilia. I'm sad to see the museum close, but not surprised.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

It is common knowledge that virtually all museums have to be supported, they simply don't make money.

Usually the support needed comes from a government agency, or a foundation or trust (think The Henry Ford Museum or The Gilmore Museum), or a corporate sponsor (Think The Buick Museum in Flint, MI).

Apparently when The Hudson Museum was set up a few years ago, there wasn't a financial support arrangement set up, or maybe it was inadequate or ill conceived.

Yes, it's very sad.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

You shouldn't bother to open a museum unless you have an endowment that generates enough investment income to cover operating deficits as well as grow the endowment itself at a rate greater than inflation.

Just having a building and a collection of objects isn't enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

What Keith said; having been in the museum business a long time, the museums that make money can probably be counted on one hand--in the entire world! Gotta have another income other than visitors' admissions.
Hard to understand the $8 million investment. If that's what was turned over by the estate to create the museum, someone blew it big time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

We visited this museum about 10 years ago. A great collection with several Minnesota cars including the "1911"Husdon roadster and others. The man who donated the collection invented a special nest for chickens as I remember. The curator of the museum was his son. In the collection were examples of several Hudsons and Terraplanes that I owned at one time. A 1937 Terraplane coupe and a 1936 Tarraplane pick up. I enjoy well put together museum collections and they should be supported. The Nethercut collection in Los Angels is a good example. Some of the cars are taken out each year and driven. The Hudson collection was good in that it was the only place you could see nice examples at one time. An interesting car was the Hudson station wagon before and after of the same car. All the could use off the original body were the rear fenders. The new body was built by the same company that built the original.
Here is a view taken at the Hudson Museum. The yellow Hudson was from Minnesota and was owned by Mori Kubo.
Hudson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 06:21 am:

Remember. One way or another, we are at war with ignorance and stupidity (those are two different things actually).
Like any war, it needs to be fought on many fronts if there is any hope of winning. The living history front is very important. We who can, drive and enjoy our cars. Talk to the people we meet. Help people understand the importance of history.
The static display front often attracts a different crowd. One that may have some interest, at least an interest in learning. It stands ready to be seen when someone is ready.
Both ways of presenting our antiques are important. (For cars and many other things.)
When society decides that education is more important than greed. Museums will be supported. Until that time, I suspect we will continue to see wonderful collections split up and sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 09:27 am:

There was a private Hudson collection of a dozen or so cars on Highway 105 just north of Brenham, Texas. It closed around 10 years ago after the owner died. I wonder what happened to the collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Bump to get rid of the spam

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration