Aw, Nuts. Got a flat. Need This Out-of-Stock Kind of Inner Tube

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Aw, Nuts. Got a flat. Need This Out-of-Stock Kind of Inner Tube
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

On the way home from a Horseless Carriage Club lunch-run, I decided
the weather was so nice, I should take another lap around the park—and
that's when I found the roofing nail between the park and home.

The air evacuated and the tire flopped off the rim, as did the inner-tube
which self-destructed. -Oh well, that's what I have towing insurance for,
and Hagerty got me home on a flat bed within an hour. -

Now my problem is, the inner-tube with this kind of air valve...

... is on the proverbial slow boat from China and won't arrive until mid-July, if then. -

Does anybody know who carries this type of inner tube and might presently have it in stock?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Boyles on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Royce Peterson had a nice article with good photos on how to install original metal valve stems in modern inner tubes in the Vintage Ford from last July/August, volume 51, #4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

If that's an original valve you want to install it on a new tube anyway and not buy a repop metal stem. It only takes about 15 minutes to install if you have a regular tube available. I don't have time to look up the post, but there was a real good discussion on this on the forum within the past couple of years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

Here you go Bob ...

http://www.sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/

Fix it tonight and get more moustache pics this weekend!

:-)

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Bob,

Royce's article about using an original valve stem in a replacement tube has additional photos, but his posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/640373.html has the jest of his technical article.

Also the one at: http://www.sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/ shows how another person did a similar thing.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

Maybe I'm missing something but I think Bob's question is if anyone knows where he can buy the correct inner tube. He needs somewhere that has the tube in stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

Bob, the stem you picture is an original Schraeder item.As far as I know, no new tube comes with such a stem. If you have a stem, it can easily be fitted to any new tube, as others suggest, and as Royce's post shows.

the only thing I do a little differently is leave a small ridge of the cut-off stem so there is a little more rubber for the bridge washer to squeeze on.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

Allan is correct. The new tubes with metal stems use a different stem than the original one Bob has. Its a lot less expensive, and faster, t reuse the valve he has on a regular innertube, and his stem cover will still fit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Seth pegged it. Where is the tube available right now?
What size Bob? These guys can help you! I think...
I'll be right there when a 30 year old tube on the 18 decides it's time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

The driving season is at hand and I can't afford to lose weeks on this thing. -My fear is that mounting an old Schraeder valve to a new inner-tube is something of an arcane skill—one of which I'm devoid—and if not done to absolute perfection on my very first attempt, will result in an air leak that will drive me to distraction and cause me to use very, very bad words and wish I'd just bought a repro inner-tube which can be relied upon to hold air.

If it holds air and fits in my rim, that's all I need. -Does anybody know where I can get a good, dependable inner-tube to fit a 30 x 3 1/2-inch wooden wheel with a Schraeder-diameter hole for the valve?

Honest—I promise, to endeavor to advance the state of my education and the valuation of my custodianship by learning how to mount a Schraeder valve to a new inner-tube—but over the winter, when I can afford the time it takes to fix mistakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

Lol I still think folks are missing the issue. Bob needs to know where he can get this inner tube. NOT the stem. Not how to install the stem. Just the tube.

Bob, I have no idea where to get the tube. Maybe do another thread just hunting where you can find the tube you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:01 am:

Bob, you need more faith in yourself--or someone who's done it before to help you--that new metal-stemmed tool might not hold air either--I've heard stories!! Heck, even a good used tube would do you well, anyone near Bob that might be able to help him out?
Diabolical Nail!! All it should have done is make a tiny hole that you could have patched!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:09 am:

Bob; It's easy, but I have a spare ready to go, PM me your email address and I'll mail it to you. Just send a tube and valve stem back. It has dynabeads in to so I'll need those too. It's my spare tube but the car is down for painting right now. I had a nick that wasn't leaking so I put a patch over the spot, it's been holding air for weeks. I'm leaving Friday morning on a trip so I need to ship it to you on Thursday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:10 am:

Or, if you get it and don't like the tube for some reason, just return it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 02:06 am:

jeez.... just read my message.... PM me with your mailing address and I'll send it out priority mail tomorrow (Thursday) if you'd like....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration