Hood sides and tops

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hood sides and tops
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:29 am:

I have a new puzzle. I now have a pair of very nice hood side panels for my '21 Touring. I also have a pair of good top panels. According to the dimensions all are low hood pieces. However the loops for the hinge pins do not match. Are all '17-'23 low hood panels not interchangeable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 12:33 am:

Trying pic again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 02:56 am:

Should be...but then I've found some that don't also. I think it depends upon who (domestic vs foreign) made what (sides or top...but not both) when (late in the production vs early in the production).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 02:57 am:

I don't know if this is the case here, but Ford was not the only ones that made fenders and hood for the Model Ts . Two others come to mind like Peerless and York and there were many others also making aftermarket sheet metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 07:23 am:

So my side panels might be aftermarket. I did notice that the handles look different from the usual ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

Now I guess I need some aftermarket hood top panels. I don't know how well you can see the details in the picture but the difference is the aftermarket pieces have a bunch of shorter loops for the hinge pins instead of the factory which has fewer , but longer loops for the pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Dremel time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

I wish I had posted a better, closer picture. I think I can cut some pieces off, probably off the top panel to make the top and side fit together. That will leave some gaps that will need to be filled, whether with a functioning "loop" or just a gap filler, attached to a panel or not. A loose sleeve on the rod in a couple of places on each side would be ok. Tomorrow I will go to the local machine shop and get the rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

the hood hinge isn't well-hidden on the outside like the later cars are, I don't think you'll be happy with modifying one to fit the other. I suspect you have either an aftermarket hood sides or side for a different car--Ts weren't the only cars with that hood side pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 06:22 am:

I modified the top panels to fit the sides. The tops are now primed and will be painted later today. I bought new rods at the local machine shop for $5.00.
The holder for the center rod is still on my radiator shell but I don't have the one for the firewall. I have looked at the rear one in the catalogs. Can someone show me a picture of the rear one for a wood firewall, on the car please? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Bump to get rid of the spam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

I got the hood pieces all together and on the car. Even though all the pieces check out with the dimensions for a low hood the hood appears to be too tall. I think the hood shelves are sitting too high. Are the blocks ever too thick? My shelves are correct and originals. The blocks and attaching hardware came from Lang's. I have them mounted fenders first then wood blocks, then metal shelves. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Tommy-
The wood under the shelves should not make them sit higher than if the wood was not in there.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 01:37 am:

I have the welting for the radiator shell and for the firewall ordered from Lang's. Hopefully the welting being in place and the bolts holding the shelves down being tightened will make everything fit. I have nothing under the radiator shell now so that will probably make some difference as well. How thick is whatever belongs under the shell, on top of the frame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

I've also ordered the correct mounting hardware for the radiator shell.
Should the body be mounted to the frame on my '21 Touring with no spacers. If there is something missing between body and frame that would make the hood too tall wouldn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

It has always been heresy on here to even mention this...but by the early 1920's Western Auto had a gimmick slogan that a complete Model T could be built from their special mail order Ford catalog ... using parts that never saw a Ford factory or were never touched by a Ford employee!

I have typically held that this is why many of the piece part details differ ( such as blocks and heads without script outside of the accepted dates...or forgings looking too nice...or tin work that is close enough but not quite)

I will say that I am near alone in this view but it would stand to reason to me that not everyone would go to an authorized Ford repair shop...and...mail order was the order of the day in the era anyway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

Tommy-

Yours would mount with either a leather pad, about 1/4 thick", or a spring loaded thimble.
How big are the holes in your radiator and shell?

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3975-76BEQ.aspx

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3975-76B.aspx

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 08:26 am:

I have ordered the thimble style from Langs. I hope they are what I need. Thanks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration