Antiqued Photos from Color Photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Antiqued Photos from Color Photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Just wanted to offer a free gift to my friends on the Model T Forum. -
If anybody would like an antiqued version of a favorite photo, I'd be happy to do that for you. -

Just e-mail me any photo you like and I'll work a little aging magic and e-mail you an antiqued version of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Bob, that is super nice of you! I just might take you up on that! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Guess what? We need your email address!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

those are great! Once I get my car back together I'll take you up on it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

there is a neat app for your phone called "tintype" and "Reflex". The Reflex APP is neat because you can choose any old style camera style (polaroid, kodachrome, aperture styles, etc)and mod it yourself.
Tintype makes the really old glass plate style pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Good point, Tim. -I'll send my e-mail address via PM to anyone who needs it. -C'mon, let's do this... it'll be fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

tintype app

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

Reflex App - Kodachrome with Brownie camera

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

I do get a kick out of this, given that my job is teaching how the actual antique photographic processes are done. The "distressing" reminds me of when I was a kid and we would go to a historic site like Independence Hall in Philadelphia. The gift shops always had authentic copies of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution that were printed on crinkly brown paper with burnt edges. For many years I assumed that all import documents had been in a fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Bob, thanks for your speedy reply and speedy conversion! Really turned out neat. Here's a "before 'n after" of his handiwork folks! Thanks also to our Model T club member Russ Herner for the use of his cute cabin as a backdrop. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Oh, that does look nice!
Bob that's cool!
Thank you!
Hah! IF I could get into my bibs and pose for a pic (If the old lady would click it), that'd be very cool.

(Message edited by Duey_C on June 22, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

Tim, You must be hiding away in the cabin but maybe we are better off that way. Looks good really. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

Here is some more of Bob's work. One day I was out driving when I bumped into "Charlie". He must have come here via time machine. Bob put him right back in the roaring '20s where he belongs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

Bump to get rid of the spam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 01:49 am:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joerg Walther - FarFarAway (Germany) on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 06:00 am:

On my PC I use the (free) PhotoScape software which has a bunch of features including the 'antique' option.
My profile photo was made with that.
Also very useful for me is the tool 'clone stamp' - with this I replace e.g. modern buildings in the background of the car with some bushes / trees etc. (which have to be on the photo somewhere to be cloned).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

The offer is still open and ongoing for anyone who would like their favorite photo "antiqued" for free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 03:03 am:

On the 1909, it was too saturate to make a good tin type photo, you need to lower the contrast and flatten the overall photo, like you did with the charlie photo, which worked pretty well, but all highlights need to be flattened as well to be believable. Otherwise they come out too shiny, something that wouldn't have happened with a reflection process of the day. This process will even out the contrast, all you need to do is provide the pattern that you dodge and burn it in. Don't forget to rotate your pattern 15º to 20º so no two of them look the alike. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 06:27 am:

The tintype process, aside from being made on iron plates and not tin, is a white, blue and violet sensitive only process. Bright red goes completely black as does bright yellow or orange. Black actually photographs as a slightly lighter color particularly if there was any road dust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

I'm not trying to duplicate the kind of historical photographic process that might fool a museum curator. -I'm just whipping up some cute novelty souvenirs from your favorite snap-shot.

I stole the idea from a pavilion I remembered seeing at a Six-Flags amusement park back in the 1980's (but it might as well have been a tourist-trap at Disney or a tent on the midway of a traveling carnival). -There, a Hollywood cowboy's stereotypical idea of a western saloon was set up as a background for the photos and it was stuffed with every possible visual cliché: -There was a set of louvered, push-out-of-the-way, entry half-doors; a giant, gilded mirror behind a sturdy walk-up bar upon which were a few scattered shot-glasses and an unlabeled, half-empty rot-gut bottle. -An attendant in a vest and derby hat was seated at an upright, honky-tonk piano and on the floor next to him was a trumpet-top, brass spitoon, and... you get the idea.

For what seemed, at the time, an outrageous price, families were dressed up in sweat-stinking, exaggerated period costumes, cowboy hats and stick-on handlebar mustaches and posed among the corny, Yosemite Sam furnishings. -They were told to stare, unsmiling, at the accordion-bellowed camera; the carnie would duck under the black hood, squeeze-bulb in hand, and shoot the picture through a thunderous detonation of flash-powder and smoke—and by whatever process, the result was a sepia-toned souvenir which hilariously parodied a century-old, Dalton-Gang photograph.

So—anyone who would like a non-museum quality, photographic souvenir of a favorite photo for absolutely, no-strings-attached FREE should send me a PM and I'll be glad to convert your snap-shot into a bald-faced counterfeit of an antique photograph.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration