22 Touring Firewall Measurements

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 22 Touring Firewall Measurements
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sheller on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

While pulling the engine in my 22 touring, we noticed the firewall had been hacked from a piece of plywood to some terrible dimensions. The steering column was only being held in by 2 bolts. We would like to get the engine put back in this weekend, but I'm having a heck of a time finding anything other than outside dimensions to rebuild the firewall. Is this some closely guarded Model T secret?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

Contact John Regan at Fun Projects:

http://www.funprojects.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RalphS in NE Oregon on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

Brian: You might find it a lot easier to replace the wood firewall with a low radiator steel firewall. They have all the right holes in all the right places. I have one I would part with on the east side of the state. PM me if interested.
Ralph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

If you do that, don't forget you'll need to add spacers to your firewall brackets to make up the difference in thickness of wood and metal--I think magnet spacers may be the right size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 05:56 am:

If you have an early 22 (like mine) it should have a wood firewall, the later ones (which are also the early 23's) had the metal firewalls. If your car has a 2 man top, wood fire wall...if your car has 1 man top metal firewall that's the easiest way to remember which had what.

Myself I really don't think much of the metal firewalls, they get kind of hot from the exhaust manifold passing so close to them...the wood firewall doesn't. Lang's has new wood firewalls or you can measure yours and do a better job than the last guy did and take your time to make it fit properly...I traced mine off a 21 touring, they're basically the same firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 05:59 am:

Umm, is this a different car than you list in your your profile? It says your car is a 24...If that's the one you're asking about, why does your car have a 22 wood firewall?...24's have metal firewalls and are high cowls as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sheller on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:20 am:

Thanks for the info. A wonderful MTFCA member called and we went over the specifications needed.
Profile updated to a 22 Touring. Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration