Model T dies today!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T dies today!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Our department was on a barn fire today. This poor 21 roadster did not make it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Another shot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Dallas, that's awful to see. Any word on the cause?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

We were a mutual aid department so I have no info on cause. Earlier this week my niehbor lost his barn to fire. Wet hay! He also lost his antique John deer,Alis, and saw mill he built with all his tools in the workshop. He did save his 51 chevy farm truch and an Oliver tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

That's terrible. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

OMG...so so sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Jeez, that sure tugs at the hearts of Model T lovers. I feel very sad for the folks that lost their home and possessions. I also feel very sad that a special car like the T was lost. It is not as if you can go down to the local Ford dealership and buy a new one. I'm going out to hug my TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Dallas,sorry to hear it and was there more than one T??In the first picture was there a alum chain fall on that trolley? Once when i was burying barns and such a fire had melted a alum semi trailer into a puddle about 12' dia and 3" thick!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Wow, that was one HOT fire. Decades ago I knew a couple that lost their '30 A Fordor sedan in a garage fire caused by their new truck. It got so hot it even turned the rustless steel shell into plain steel, I still have the shell; even sagged the frame, the fire was so hot.
Sad times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

Gale we were able to save the house. Melted the siding and shingles but house is ok.
Bud not another complete car but I seen motors and lots of parts. I talked with the owner and he said it was original paint car with no rust. Ran and drove good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 12:04 am:

Ohh. Oww.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 12:43 am:

Hi Dallas,

Are you a volunteer? If so, thanks for giving back to your community and good work on saving the house!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 12:54 am:

Ouch! What a loss

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 05:45 am:

I see the loss, but I also see a project...sure it was nice once, and it can be again I'd think...it'll probably take more hard work than the fellow who owns is willing to put into it I suppose (you might get a bargain there)...but if the frame is straight or even if it's not as long as the engine is tact, I'd rebuild...just me, I never like to say anything "is a total loss", when most of it is still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 06:32 am:

Evan, I have been a volunteer fireman for 32 years. Started when I was 16 and a jr in high school. I dont know any other life style. My wife and son and his wife is also on department. We also run medic runs also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 06:51 am:

Terrible loss. Is nobody going to comment on the top picture? The fireman standing directly under that charred overhead beam is in exactly the wrong place. The Chief needs to see that picture and have a few words with his men.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 06:59 am:

What a terrible loss, and not just the T. Dallas - thanks for being one of the brave souls who runs towards a disaster, not away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 07:24 am:

This picture is one of my worst fears. I've heard some people say it's just stuff but to me if my T burned it would be like loosing part of the family. It's been part of my family for over 65 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 07:36 am:

James, I agree. Yes, it's just "stuff", but back in the 70's I lost my first sailboat due to fire, from being hit by lightning. They did "restore" it, but frankly it was never the same, you never really recover from something like that. Just pray it never happens to ourselves!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 07:58 am:

I'm in the planning stage for a shop I'm putting in the back of my property.

This reaffirms that I need to plan for a sprinkler system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

I totally agree with Martin.

No matter how badly a car is damaged, in the hands of the right person, it can always be brought back with enough effort and determination... and money, of course! Unfortunately, the latter is usually what determines what happens to a car like this. It's much cheaper to replace it. Now if it was a long-lost Bugatti Royale...

Cars can always be repaired and brought back, but lives cannot. Thank goodness no one was hurt in that fire!

I also see a project there. If someone is willing to restore the car, then he should name it Phoenix :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

With that much heat i think everything would be junk? Back in the old days when everyone had a couple of tractors,trucks,and cars parked in a barn the saying was if the tires were burned off it was junk! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

The frame on this one is sagged to the floor in the middle. Thats why front is pointing up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Dallas ,the photos are all too familiar. I lost my two cars and my F150 in April. It is tough. Hang in there! So very terribly sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

I bought a T pickup that went through a barn fire thinking some thing might be salvageable. The aluminium pistons were in a puddle in the bottom of the pan and the brass had melted out of the front spindles. The only thing I could salvage was the title!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:59 am:

I don't know, but I see fenders, a radiator shell and hood...I think if the shell is as in tact as it looks to be that it, the radiator and the hood may have sheltered the engine enough to keep it from turning into slag...I'd at least give it a shot...frames are easy and fairly inexpensive to come by...motors not so much, but still available. I hate to bury any T as a hopeless cause, not when I see so much there that looks to be in some sort of reasonable shape.

You can always junk it later, but at least give a good hard look through first...the car deserves that much at least. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Bump to get rid of the spam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

Dallas, Thank you for your update. I am relieved these folks didn't lose their home. My youngest son is an EMT and firefighter. I can't tell you how proud I am of him, and how hard he works to mitigate the damage. We had multiple devastating fires in Lake County these past two years, and my son fought long and hard on every one. I applaud you and your family for your dedication to helping others.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration