Fender alignment with radiator apron on 1926 Model t Depot Hack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fender alignment with radiator apron on 1926 Model t Depot Hack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

I am in the alignment process and have hit a roadblock with the fenders and radiator apron. I bought new fenders and while assembling the radiator I noticed that my fenders do not align smoothly with the radiator apron. I believe I have the correct order of assembly for the radiator, hood shelves, etc. so I am just wondering if there is some adjustment I am missing or if I need to alter my fenders to align with the radiator apron better.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Alignment Photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Alignment Photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Alignment Photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

I can't tell for sure , but it sort of looks like you might have a 25 apron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Yea I am trying to upload a better close up. I thought I could have the wrong apron but I bought it new so I thought that I would have bought the correct one. I am checking it now though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Alignment Photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Is there a hole in the center of the apron under the crank hole? Can't see one in the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Here's how Betsy's fender/apron alignment looks. I can't take credit for it, the shop that did the restoration for the previous owner did it. :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

No there is not one, but the Snyder's catalogue says that the 26-27 aprons come without that hole drilled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

The only reason I bring up the alignment issue is that I look at the front ends of many cars and see that the ends of the fenders align perfect with the curve of the radiator apron and for some reason mine appear to be off somewhere.

Is it possible that the apron is supposed to go below the hood shelves? That would fix my alignment issue with the fender, but the crank alignment is way off then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

ENDER

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Arnold- That is the alignment I am looking for. Did you use an original radiator apron and if so what are your dimensions from the top to the center of the crank hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Nicholas, do you have any pictures of your frame before the fender were mounted? The ears on the front of the frame play a role in the height of the front fenders. Also I found the reproduction shelf blocks I purchased were a bit too thick. I had to plane them down for everything to align better. Also the apron on my 26 appears to be original and it has a nicely formed hole for the screw to the spring clamp/front engine mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Sometimes you have to fiddle with it to see what works best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

26-27 trucks used 25 sheet metal. Your apron looks like a 25 but the fenders look 26-27 (headlight bar). It also Looks like you have the apron sitting on top of the hood shelves. It should be on the frame. It's always tough when you mix parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

I hope this helps you.
help1
help2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Alignment Photos

This is the best I could find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Arnold- What is the height of the flat face of the fender directly next to the apron. Mine measures 4" top to bottom. It appears that yours is closer to 3"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Stephen- All the drawings I have seen on the correct assembly of the radiator show that the apron is sitting on top of the hood shelf. It makes sense that it should be sitting on the frame, but then I run into the problem of the crank not aligning correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

The apron is a repo part for the 26-27 bought at Snyder's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

I would say 3.5 inches
p1
p2
p3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

I have the same problem with my '25 coupe, new fenders and original apron, I just figure the fenders have to much lip and I'd hate to cut them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 09:48 am:

Arnold, Can't tell much about the frame "ears" from your picture. I hope they look like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 10:04 am:

Install radiator apron: See par 109, page 32 and Fig 90, page 33 Ford Service Book. Copyright 1925. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

To install of the Improved car (26/27). See par 1146, page 266 and Fig 530. From the Ford Service manual. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

Bump to get rid of the spam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

anti-spam bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas McClure on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Talked to Snyder's today. Said the radiator apron was in the correct place (on top of the hood shelves), and that it is my fenders that are not correct. Noticed that the front flat face of the fenders is 4" while most cars have about 3-3.5" face which makes a huge difference on the alignment. Once I get everything all bolted together I am going to mark the body line I want and take it to a metal shop near me and have them take off the inch needed to get the fenders to align correctly with the radiator apron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

Nicholas McClure,
If this may help, we have an early 26 touring made in Aug of 25. It does not have a bar from light to light. That was done later in the run. Don't know if the fenders changed with the addition of the bar. Radiator shell extension is on top of the fender, the same as George n has pictured without any space of any importance. The measurements from the top of the fender and the matching apron at the bottom is 3" (max. 3.5") aprox. as the tape measurements show, above in Arnolds post.
Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 01:27 am:

John Page, Australia

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration