Pikes Peak brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Pikes Peak brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

I recently acquired a set of original/period 26-27 accessory brakes known as Pikes Peak brand. (see picture below)
The system is complete except for an original stamped "pike's peak" pedal that would've originally come with it.
Does anyone have a pedal or know of one that could be for sale?

James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Mark had this one for sale a month ago for $85. I need an identical unit with the late style pedals.

Classifieds link: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/733268.html?1488919827

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Look close at any brake pedal you are thinking about buying. Not all accessory brake pedals have the cam to operate the transmission brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Recently a T guy told me that the AC brakes came with a special drum that is 1/4 wider than the standard Ford drum. Is this correct? I have real authentic Rocky Mountain brakes on all of my T's, which are CABLE operated, so I like to know this stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:40 am:

I don't see how that would help, the bands on my original AC brakes are the same width as the stock Ford small drum.

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

My question remains- does anyone have a Pikes Peak pedal they'd sell? I have been offered one with the brake cam on it. I can also use a rocky mountain pedal, but I'd rather shell out for a correct Pikes Peak pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

There aren't that many real Pikes Peak pedals. I have a gut feeling that the real ones don't have the cam for the transmission brake. A number of after market out side brakes did away with using the transmission brakes entirely.
Some years back they were given out by one of the clubs or such for a timed event for going up Pikes Peak. What they were was a pad casting that you could weld on to your old brake pedal pad. google mtfca; pikes peak pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

To add to that, from what I have seen, most of the after market brakes from the era, the more common ones, were cable operated. The equalizer you show, I think is more modern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Ok now for a stupid question- the cam to operate the transmission brake is merely a small square that is parallel with the shaft?
Please see the picture below.
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Pictured below is a pedal discussed previously with an identical casting and print.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/733268.html?1488919827
The upper photo, can't tell if it's a cam or just a stop to keep the pedal from coming back too far.
Re the 2ed photo, I can't find the discussion but seem to recall that the pad shown on the above pedal was one of the weld on pads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Bump to get rid of the spam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Given the somewhat high likelihood that the pedal I have been offered won't work, does anyone have a new or used Rocky Mountain pedal that will still activate the transmission brake they'd sell?
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

If you want originality original Rocky Mountains never had a special pedal. They used what was on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Bump

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration