How Can We Tell If A Frame Is Straight?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How Can We Tell If A Frame Is Straight?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:00 am:

With a frame up on sawhorses, what measurements will tell if it is straight, or crooked?

I plan on seeing a couple, maybe more, forum members with frames for sale on my trip to Baltimore and back.

I simply have no way to straighten a frame, nor have I ever seen it done, so I very much want to buy a straight one.

Any help is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Pull a string from one end to the other at top of frame and see if sagged(most are) then measure from corner to corner to see if it is racked. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Measure from opposite corners will determine square. Pulling a string from end to end would show a sag or crown. There are plenty of threads of straightening a sagged or out of square frame. Google your request with mtfca at the end and you will get many topics covering straightening/squaring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Keith typed faster :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Keith;

In the event a frame I may find IS not straight, do you know of anyone around here, or possibly Jackson or Corinth, that can straighten it?

Please let me know.

Thanks, Keith.

Bill Everett

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Thank you, Gary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Bare frame, hold a string tight along the top/bottom of the side rail, front and back. Use your eyes, does it look bowed or sagging? check the corners for squareness. I don't recall the number off hand, google it, check to see what the center to center measurement between the radiator mounting holes is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:14 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/764053.html?1497523346

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Thank you, Mark.

I'm adding string to my list of items to take on this trip.

Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Mark, I think 21 and a half on the radiator mounts, Bill, I might be able to help with the straightening if I can get Rick Moore to help. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:33 am:

There has got to be a garage in Memphis that can straighten a frame, fish plate or box in portions of it if necessary. Of course, the '26-27 frame is thicker steel but neither of these options will leave your brass era car correct. That's up to you. My garage landlord has a vehicle frame straightener for sale but it will cost as much as a Model T. My rivets were shot and were replaced with grade 8 bolts, after disassembling the entire frame, fighting rust, and reassembling everything thing in the flat and level position. Note the level and cardboard shims in the pic. In the future, if I have the time and funds I may replace them with the correct rivet.
Vern
frame fix

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Vern, thank you for the picture; I'll be sure to add a level to my list.

Keith, that would be great! I'll bring the refreshments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

Vern, I know you're bringing one back from the dead, but I think the grade 8 bolts are to hard and brittle for that use. The Ford frame is designed to flex, which is why it's riveted, not welded together. I know it's work, but considering what you've already had to do, I'd get down and learn riveting--it's not that hard, actually!
Yes, you'll have to repaint where you rivet. . .
When I was rewooding a Model A Fordor, I set up the straight chassis dead level so I'd have an accurate reference point while building the wood structure. I have a surveyor's level, so that made it easier to get it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

The front cross member is most often spread and the rear is sometimes collapsed. Measure the center to center radiator mounting holes. They should be exactly 21 1/2" on center. Outside to outside of the frame rails should measure 23" the full length.

Squareness has already been mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

Frame straightening is NOT hard to do. The T frame is not that rigid and easily bends. If you have a couple of chains, a jack and a wood beam (6x6) and a string, you can do it. You will have to bend past the point of straight as the frame rails seem to have a memory and will tend to return to where they were.

frame straight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Bump to get rid of the spam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 07:05 am:

Thank you, Jack.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration