The Model T and New Owners -- a suggestion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The Model T and New Owners -- a suggestion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 09:11 am:

So often the forum has a new member that asked a question that has been on the forum before -- why three pedals, how does the engine cool with out a water pump, what is a planetary gear transmission. How do I adjust the coils,.......etc etc...

If I may make a suggestion. If you are going to buy a model T or a TT, purchase a Model T Ford Owner's manual or look on line for a digital copy. Or review - http://www.mtfca.com/books/1926Inst.htm

The 1926 FORD MANUAL has information relevant from 1908 to the last T produced. It is set up as a Q & A.

An example from the owners manual:

What about Gasoline? Answer No. 2

The ten-gallon gasoline tank should be filled---nearly full---and the supply should never be allowed to get low. When filling the tank be sure that there are no naked flames within several feet, as the vapor is extremely volatile and travels rapidly. Always be careful about lighting matches near where gasoline has been spilled, as the air within a radius of several feet is permeated with the highly explosive vapor. The small vent hole in the gasoline tank cap should not be allowed to get plugged up, as this would prevent proper flow of the gasoline to the carburetor. The gasoline tank may be drained by opening the pet cock in the sediment bulb.

It will help answer questions that have been asked for over 100 years...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 09:48 am:

George...great idea and advice.

Only shortcoming is, in a week or so when the "next newbie" pops in....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 09:54 am:

They all should buy the service manual too. That will answer a lot of questions. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Lets hope a newbie pops in every week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Nebelsky on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

I'm a newbie and the first thing I did was buy the books and started doing searches on the MTFCA forum. So far, I have been able to get all of my questions answered. This is the best forum around. Thank you MTFCA and all of the members for sharing your fantastic knowledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

Bump to get rid of the spam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joerg Walther - FarFarAway (Germany) on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 06:11 am:

And not to forget the stunning videos by Mitch.
I really learned to drive by watching them and they are made with enthusiasm yn simply a joy to watch.
My first drive with my T was no problem as i already knew where everything was and what do do (and what to do not).

His youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOxVvWyO5wk&list=PL74smD_5SAKah-fCpk1c3vuO72Ul4er SX

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Amen Dean!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

This isn't the first time that this has been brought up.
We have to remember that a lot of us have been around T's for a lot of years.
For us it's second nature and seems fairly easy.
While we can offer advice we have to be patient and give POSITIVE answers along with information about T's that's available such as the T owners manual, Ford service manual and other books.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 11:26 am:

When I was learning about the Model T there were really no mentors or internet and books were the only real way to go. Every T came with an owners manual, they are a great place for general help also learning WHAT the parts are. Knowing a little about what the parts are helps in the long run when asking a question by being on the same page with the people helping. Remembering this is not a live chat room helps too, if you need quick help having a book handy is great. We for the most part don't walk around 24/7 with our communication devices in hand, many of us are still old school so you question could be answered in short order or could be a day or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 11:38 am:

All noobies should move to within driving distance of the Antique Auto Ranch and
spend Tuesday evenings at the shop there learning all this good stuff from the crowd
that shows up every week. Simple as that ! Hands-on, plenty of grumpy old farts, and
you can buy all the books there, if you want them too ! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration