26 bed strips and hardware

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26 bed strips and hardware
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

I continue to make progress on my rough 26 pickup bed resurrection. I got a set of original 26 bed strips and a new set of bed strip hardware from Langs. There was no bed floor at all when I got the bed, so I'm not sure how all this hardware goes together. I laid out the hardware and the strips, but it seems I don't understand where it all goes. There are 10 square washers, but it seems like more are needed. Also there are 3 extra long carriage bolts - where do they go? There are 6 additional short carriages bolts too. I assume there are for fastening the sides to the boards on each side. 3 on each side?

Here's what I have. Any help appreciated.

srps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Steve

Did this sketch from original '26 bed, locations of strips and holes as in the strips. The toothed square washers are fitted at angle under the bed boards, one washer securing two boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Dan - I have your drawing and it is very helpful. But i'm still not clear where the three 2" long carriage bolts go. Also there are ten square washers for under the boards in the kit. But I count 16 square holes in the strips (not counting those on the ends of the strips). So it seems like I need six more square washers... but then maybe I'm not understanding something. I didn't buy a wood floor kit, I plan to make my own. Just trying to get all the necessary pieces together. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

I assume that the bolts at the tailgate end of the strips go through this ledge and therefore don't need the square washers. On the front panel there is a similar lower edge. So I don't think they are needed there either.

edge

This is what I started with. You can see why i'm lost!

find

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Steve

Once you try, if you are using Ford parts, then it will work out. The square toothed washers only for holding together pairs of boards in just places required. Hex nuts are used everywhere else

Four of the carriage bolts go to the flanges of the hump plate with hex nuts and washers.

Been since '09 so can't remember all :-) But think the longer ones are for the wood blocks for undersupport of the battery door?

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on June 24, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

RE: Washers, yes, the bolts that go through the metal flanges don't need the washers. If your boards don't have any grooves on the bottom (most don't), then the tang on the washer goes between the boards, not into one of them. Wish I could help you with the long ones, don't know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Ah ha - so square washer are not needed for the hump plate flanges. That explain some of the shortage. Since this is for a cut off jalopy project, I may raise the base enough to eliminate the hump plate. I may need to make more of them or order another kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

They're pretty easy to make, if you have the material on hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 06:00 am:

I can make a couple more if needed. I don't understand the purpose of the the bent/pointed corner on the square washers. It's seems to be there to keep the washer from spinning when the nut is tightened. But so what if it does? Once it's tight, it's not going anywhere. Scratching my head on that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Ease of assembly, that's all. Yes, it can be done without bending down a corner, but it's sure easier with it bent. I think it was also meant to help space the wood pieces.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration