OT: REO Speedwagon

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: REO Speedwagon
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Anybody have any experience with these trucks? Are parts available for them? An elderly friend has one (late 1920s) that belonged to her husband when he was alive, and I thought I might see if she would like to sell it. It has been sitting in the barn for decades. None of her kids or grand-kids are the least bit interested in it. Of course, I think it's cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

I am finishing up a 1910 REO truck replica. I have not found the first OEM part for a pre- 1915 REO truck. Occasionally '20's-30's stuff shows up on eBay. There is an active REO club nationally, so stuff must be available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

Thanks Gary. I would love to see a picture of your truck if you wouldn't mind posting one. I believe the one I am interested in is mid to late 20s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 03:47 am:

I had a '29 REO coupe when I went to high school (only 48 years ago). They were well built cars, and it performed quite well for its age. I understand that the trucks were also very good relative to their era.
Some parts could be a real problem to locate if you needed them. That would be mostly fenders, body parts or trim unique to specific models. Most of the mechanical parts to keep the truck road-worthy can probably be had, or modified to fit from available parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Gale, If you'd like I can put you in touch with one of our Long Beach members that has a perfectly restored REO Speedwagon. His name is Pete Wright and has had his Speedwagon in several movies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Hello Gale:
To build on Gary's post, the REO club of America is made up of numerous excellent resources, who helped my current 1912 project largely . Early OEM Body parts are especially tough to come by, but REO truck bodies tend to be basic construction, where it is feasible to have these pieces reproduced by a qualified metals shop. Also worth noting is the excellent REOLDS Museum in downtown Lansing, where a number of the volunteer staff, are strong mechanical talents....well worth a visit, if you happen to be in the vicinity, or ask questions over the phone...hope this helps.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Gale there were 2 versions of the first REO truck, a 500 lb capacity truck with air-up tires and single chain drive (mine)and a 1500 lb capacity dual chain drive model with solid tires. I used Model T demountable wheels on mine, as I said not one single piece is original. All modified from ''T'' parts or fabricated from scratch, with a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel. I'm almost done with this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

All this information and suggestions are much appreciated. If I am successful at purchasing this truck, I will certainly take advantage of REO owners experiences. The truck I am looking at appears to be complete and is in decent shape, but probably hasn't been touched in 50 years. It is much larger than my TT, but I am assuming it is also a one ton. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to pull it out of the barn and really look it over. I don't want to intrude if my friend doesn't want to sell it. Baby steps at this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 02:07 am:

I hope it works for you. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 04:02 am:

"You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 09:01 am:

Parts are hard. I just bought a 1915 speedwagon. I need a valve guide. I'm likely going to have to get one machined. However, REO trucks are notoriously tough. Hope you get It!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Fortunately, my eldest son is a brilliant machinist. He likes doing prototype work, especially when he can engineer the specs and programming. He is currently studying for a Masters in mechanical engineering while working full time. If I need a part, he is always happy to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

I have a complete Reo speed wagon motor I would sell to anyone needing spares or a motor.

It seems to be quite nice with manifolds.

just sayin'

brasscarguy@gmail.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration