Mounting a Rear Tire on a Rear Wheel (on the car)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Mounting a Rear Tire on a Rear Wheel (on the car)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 09:29 am:

I'm usually pretty good at mounting clincher tires on rims. -I've found it a pretty straightforward procedure to mount tires on the front wheels with the wheels on the car, but because of the lack of access caused by the wrap-around rear fender on my '15 Touring, when it comes to mounting a rear tire I've always removed the wheel to get the job done. -This time around, however, I'm going to try to mount a rear tire while the wheel is on the car. -For me, this'll be a first.

Anybody got any particular advice on how to mount a clincher tire on a rear wheel while the wheel is on the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 09:39 am:

I'd rotate the valve hole to the top and start your mounting process from there. You've done it before so there's not much else to tell. How are the coils holding up by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Bob, you could also jack on the frame so you get more fender clearance. But be careful so it doesn't slip off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

Charlie,

Every since you tuned the coils, they've been singing like the Shirelles. _The engine runs smooth as silk. -Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

I just did the rear a couple of times on my Torpedo. With the wheel jacked up I positioned the tire with flap and tube slightly inflated on the bottom. I had both sides of the tire in the rim and then slightly lowered the wheel so it wouldn't rotate as I worked the tire onto the rim.
This was a 30 x 3 1/2 Firestone tire. getting the last stretched over the rim pretty well maxed out the tire irons and my strength since I mounted both sides together at the same time. Didn't take long and no worries about damaging the tube. Use some good tire lube..

Good Luck

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration