Nims water pump

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Nims water pump
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Have any of you tried A nims water pump? I have a nice one and I am thinking about giving it a go. My road is a 6 mile long steep hill climb and my car is always boiling over when I get to the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 01:00 am:

Nims water pump is better than nothing, just barely.

Ed aka #4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 01:23 am:

Daniel, Most Forum members will tell you to hang any water pump on the wall of your "man cave". Although modern automobiie engines have the water pump mounted in a high position, Ford did not use one on the T but did on the Model A and flathead V8's through 1936. In 1937, Ford moved the water pumps from the front of the heads (up high) to the lower water inlet position in the block, as water is supposed to be cooled more effectively if it is pushed by a pump through the engine, instead of the pumps pulling the water through when mounted up high. The Nims replaces the water outlet on the head, therefore it pulls the water through the engine, as opposed to pushing the water through as it would if mounted lower on the block. I have had two Nims. Sold one and the other is for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 08:31 am:

I love my water pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Spend your water pump money on a new or re-cored radiator. My Fordor doesn't even gurgle after shutting down in 90 degree weather, after having the radiator re-cored :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately to some forum members)I don't have time to bore you with my stories, but I love original stuff and that includes radiators. Some times in order to run an original radiator and keep the engine cool enough, you have to run a water pump. The ones that mount on the side of the block are the best. My race car runs a cross drive magneto so I can't run one of those. My radiator is 100 plus years old so it needs a little help and I run a Nims that we did a little impeller improvement on, (the original design is kind of lacking, so we used the original impeller with some improved mounting/securing). On the SCVMTFC endurance run a couple weeks ago, at about the 25 mile mark I noticed the temp on my Motometer go up a little. I ignored it as it wasn't much and just kept on going and finished the run fine, just a little warmer than usual. At the finish line ceremonies one of the trouble truck drivers came in and said "I picked this up early in the run, where should I put it so that someone will claim it". It looked like my fan belt. So I went over and lifted my hood and....it was! So, there you have it. I did notice on the run that the temp went up quicker and higher on the hills but other wise just a little difference.

Ed aka #4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

One of the good things about a Nims, is that the shape and design of the impeller (more like a propeller) does not impede the thermo-siphon if you lose your fan belt as much as many of the side-mounted type water pumps do. The common side-mount water pumps vary a lot in design. Many of them restrict the water more than they help it. Many of those will not help any T under basically any conditions (except maybe as a wheel chock). Many of them work okay as long as the shaft is turning properly. However, if the belt slips (or disappears), they restrict the flow to the point a car with even a good radiator will boil in a few miles at most.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 01:45 am:

There's a lot of helpful info here, thank you for your responses. I'm curious as to how you run one of these and a fan at the same time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 08:25 am:

Here's a Nims as "Accessory of the day": http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/116935.html?1260597831

drt

One of the reasons so many pumps were sold back in the day while few are needed today is probably that they didn't have any good anti freeze mix like we have today - the alcohol mix they used needed to be kept circulating to avoid rapid evaporation, and the plain water sometimes used on cold days also needed forced circulation to avoid freezing in the radiator when you start driving..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Well, as for running it with the fan at the same time, I saw an add that showed two belts running one on top of another on the lower pulley. One for fan and one for the water pump. I have one my TT and only use one belt. I just adjusted the fan to the passenger side off set to center enough to contact the belt and turn the fan. It's pretty tight and works well. I haven't had any issues with the truck overheating. If anything, it probably runs too cool. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 12:38 am:

I run couple ok
Last one i installed had use longest belt i could find and that barely worked
Think guy making AC brakes sell a repop of this pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 12:59 am:

My speedster has a Nims water pump.
It was installed by the original restorer who loved accessories.
When he passed away his son received the car but rarely used it. I purchased it 17 years later when he finally decided to sell it. Sitting unused for so long didn't help it very much

Wanting to keep it as it was I replaced the Nims when the one fitted started to leak at the upper hose when I was 300 miles from home.

When I got home and took it off it was obvious why it was leaking.

It had an aluminium body which had corroded over the years. I found a bronze bodied one on ebay and replaced it. The only thing I did was replace the shaft with a stainless steel one, the old one was worn.

Here are some photo's of both. Note the poor impeller on the alum one compared to the bronze version. Its been on for 8 years an no trouble. It has its own belt separate from the fan.

p[ump 01

pump 02

pump 03

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration