A drive to West Yellowstone and also some Franklins.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A drive to West Yellowstone and also some Franklins.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

We just got back from driving the T to West Yellowstone for the weekend. The weather was great so I got some pictures. The car preformed well.
We ran into the H. H. Franklin club's "48th Franklin Club Westrek". They had 29 cars (mostly Franklins) and are touring the Park this week. It seems we always find some other group out enjoying the byways.
We also found some "dudes" on horses.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Great pictures Richard, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

Great post. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Great photos Richard. We did that trip on the bike in 04. Watch out for buffalo!!!
Thanks for sharing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

You're not helping. I like Franklins. Always wanted one. My dad had one when I was very little. I remember going with him to look at the car parked alongside the farmer's driveway. It was about a '31 or'32 Airman (?) sedan. I was probably four at the time. My dad had also always wanted a Franklin. It became one of my favorite toys!
A few years later, he sold the car because he needed the money for family stuff. A tradition I have sadly carried on through way too much of my life.
Right now, there is a '23 Franklin sedan on ebad, no reserve, no bids after about three days, and a low opening bid. Looks pretty nice.
Boy I wish I could somehow swing it.

Your T looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing these pictures!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

I once had a 1930 Franklin when I was very young. A friend in a 50 Plymouth challenged me to a drag. The aluminum connecting rods in the Franklin aren't very good for racing. The car ended up in the wrecking yard. Oh well, I only paid $25 for it anyway.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Very nice, thank you for posting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

We were there in 2004 and ran into a couple of hundred old Chevys and even people we knew in Cody,Wy!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 12:36 am:

The Franklins must tour well. I hadn't seen that many in one place before. Here is one that belongs to the Steffensen's who organised the tour.

Our T by the West Yellowstone RR Water Tower.
I don't know why we don't spend more time there. It certainly was beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 12:50 am:

Nice pictures Richard. I really want to do a Yellowstone tour in my T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 02:33 am:

We were in West Yellowstone in May of 2016 with our 26 Fordor. Stayed there for 5 days touring almost all of Yellowstone Park. We had a ball and the car was almost as bid an attraction as the parks attractions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Yellowstone is still our favorite but the traffic and room prices keep going up. The 45 MPH speed limit is nice. There are times when the traffic is lighter but hard to predict. While our local club had many tours there years ago, it gets tougher for groups of cars.
You do become a celebrity there when you are in an old car.
I enjoy the quiet back roads we take to get there. The farm roads and Mesa Falls Scenic drive have little traffic and can be beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Richard, a chapter of the Ford Flathead Club has about a dozen+ cars in the area doing a tour. Watch out for them also. It certainly was a beautiful weekend here.

If you have not already, go here next time. One of the best unknown spots on your side of Ystone... (If the link does not work, google Big Springs, ID - the Henry's Fork comes straight out of the ground at this spot. Nice road, decent parking)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Big+Springs,+ID+83429/@44.5001939,-111.2575472,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x3e1b513d7ff1fba7 !2sHenry's+Fork+Lodge!8m2!3d44.287655!4d-111.456685!3m4!1s0x53519f5884477c7d:0x9 8042075e3931fc1!8m2!3d44.5001939!4d-111.2553585

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Thanks Brian. My cousin visited Johnny Shack's Cabin this weekend at Big Springs. It is delightful also.
http://www.co.fremont.id.us/departments/parks_rec/big_springs/johnny-sack_big-sp rings.html
We barely missed Rolls Royce excursions and one of Duesenbergs (Yes Duesenbergs) in past years. They don't give notice when they go there. We would love to meet up with some of those tourists.

One of the many folks we chatted with yesterday was from Powell.
The VMCCA National Tour in Cody will have some cars at the Annual “Wings ‘n Wheels” Antique Car and Plane Air Show in Powell Aug 19th this year. Maybe we will see you there.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

The last Franklin photo is a 1929 Speedster. The body was narrowed and the roof line lowered for a much sportier look. The back of the front seat is structural to the "B" pillar as the pillar is rather thin and the hinge point for both doors. The Speedster is only eclipsed by the Pursuit (open car) and the Pirate (closed sedan with hidden running boards)models. Raymond Dietrich designed some of the best looking Franklins.

We owned a 1927 Series 11B Sedan that was a 33K mile original car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 08:36 am:

Great pictures! Love the "contrast" if you will, of the vintage cars by the half million dollar modern mobile cottages!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 09:20 am:

Another nice place to visit in the area is Red Rock Lakes NWP. Very pretty country.

Rich, how do you like the roll-up rear panel? Do you use it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 11:29 am:

I really like the roll up panel. I put one in my '15 and my Yellowstone Bus has one. We didn't use it this trip as it was a little chilly. Someone told me that if you roll it inward rather than outward you can keep rain from filling it up:

I guess I should mention that we try not to invite Mr. Murphy but he manages to catch up with us quite often. An after trip inspection revealed differential oil all over the rear wheel.

I believe the axle shaft/hub shim entered the seal area allowing a path for oil out. I am using an Amsoil gear oil which may be good for the gear mesh but a real challenge to keep from leaking. The thick oil they used back in the day may have advantages in some ways. I realize now that a shim was not needed. The brake shoe support bolt T-2567 sometimes gets tightened to much and forces the cam end of the shoe outward making a scraping sound. Loosening that bolt stopped the sound.
Also, opening the hood, I was greeted by a shiny fan pulley rather than a fan belt. Apparently it had escaped with some Diff. oil.
Both problems may be blamed on pre-trip maintenance. I did some brake work and tightened the fan belt slightly. Don't fix it if it "ain't" broke may have merit but dozens of other tasks helped us get there without other problems. The car did not show signs of heating so I don't know when the fan belt let go. We were moving forward most of the trip.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Really enjoyed driving my T in Yellowstone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

I recently bought my 1914 Ford touring because I wanted a brass car. I also own three Franklins which I drive a lot, and are great runners. Wish I were out that way, as a bunch of my Franklin friends are there now.

Richard Eagle, what are the details regarding the rack on the rear of your T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

The trunk rack is homemade. Here are some pictures of it:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/509464.html?1421195620

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration