Rearend back under car, temporary

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rearend back under car, temporary
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

I put the newly rebuilt rearend back under my '21 Touring , without the driveshaft and radius rods. I needed to move the car before installing the driveshaft and radius rods. I'm wishing that I could install them with the rearend under the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

Loosening the rear spring clamps, shackles and what not, you should be able to pop that U-joint globe into place tho it might take a bit of head scratching and brute force perhaps.
AND the willingness to lay under the car to final-assemble that axle and then make your alignment checks, still not sure IF I did my alignment checks perfectly correct.
A few years ago on my Crappy T, I used a Handy Man style jack to push the axle back enough to get it out of the way and popped out of the U-joint globe to replace the clutch pack (with the engine still in the car!).
I'll be dipped if I can remember how I did it, to be honest. What the heck did I push against? That doesn't make any sense but I did it.
I fully realize I might be from the Corner Saloon crowd as opposed to the Serious Type like some posters talk about but I use my imagination tommy and IF it works, that's the right way to do it. Think about it and see what you can come up with and keep us informed.
Yep, it'd be way easier to final-assemble that rear axle on the bench, horses or in my case lately, the help from a lawn chair. :-)

(Message edited by Duey_C on June 26, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

I don't understand how you can set the gear lash with both housings together. I was always taught to set up the gear mesh by having the drive shaft tube fastened to the left axle housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

I'm sure that I will take the rearend back out to attach the driveshaft and radius rods. It was no big deal putting the axle in yesterday. It will be nice to put it all back in for good. I could have been driving my car quite some time ago if I had not dreaded the rearend and driveshaft rebuild so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

So did you already set the gear lash Tommy? As David mentioned, you cant adjust it properly without the driveshaft installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Yes all lashes and clearances were checked before the two halves were bolted together. I just put he rearend back under the car to move the car. It is now moved and I can continue the work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

Progress is being made. I now have the rearend back out, the driveshaft bolted up, and the radius rods bolted on loosely. I will adjust the radius rods in the morning, before work and install the rearend tomorrow night, after church.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 02:45 am:

Tommy I hope things work for you. I need to be praying more at church that my rear axle comes together as well;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 08:23 am:

The radius rods are now adjusted and cotter pins in place at both ends. Tonight it all goes back under the car.
Head Light Lens Guy I wish you well with yours. I've had to repent at church for some words that I said while working on my '21 Touring.
I like your hat. I wear that style every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 09:48 am:

I now have the rearend back in the car. A couple of things to remember if I ever do this again - remove the rear running board connecting brace, and make sure you have the rearend assembly right side up before you attach it at the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

Oh no. Oops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

Good luck with you differential rebuild. To each his own but I put my differential together as an assembly and then put the whole unit under the car. You probably already know this but if the ring gear side on the rear axle is put in the wrong side you will will have a car that goes backwards when pushing in the low speed pedaL
It's happened to a T rebuilder more than a few times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

Thanks John. The rebuild is done and the rearend is back under the car. When I attempted to put the wheels and tires on I found that the lining on the shoes is too thick and will need to be sanded/ground down. On more obstacle to be overcome.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration