How does it run or how does it "steer"?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How does it run or how does it "steer"?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

So being that I have had several T's I would sure like to know how that one is steered or "turns". Anybody have more info. on it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Fascinating ! It would seem as "simple" as putting the track belt around the stock wheels after adding the "bogeys". I also wonder how it steers . . . I'll bet it doesn't steer well enough to parallel park ! Neat picture, thanks for posting !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 03:14 am:

I'd be willing to bet that it steers simply by independent operation of the rear wheel brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 07:18 am:

I'm with Harold. I suppose if they had wanted to get real fancy, they could have set it up with a special gearbox that would even power one side forward and the other reverse for a "Zero Turn", but more likely, it's just slowing or stopping one wheel and letting the differential turn the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 07:05 am:

Or you steer it like you would a Stewart...lock up one side rear wheel (always the drive wheel) and let it pivot on the locked side...don't think it would take anything fancier than that actually...it would be pulling the rear brakes independently of each other, probably with two hand brake levers connected to the steering wheel, maybe just sitting on either side of the driver. Or maybe they did it with pedals like in the Stewart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 07:10 am:

Yeah, that's probably it.:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration