California To Pennsylvania!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: California To Pennsylvania!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 07:25 am:

Zoom in on this picture.

I came up on this car Saturday, eastbound on I-40 about 30 miles west of Knoxville. The flashers on the rear worked which helped approaching drivers notice the slow speed (comparatively) the T was driving.

If someone can crop and re-post, please do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 07:47 am:

Here you go.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 08:20 am:

Looks like someone with a death wish! Around here, we would never get on the I's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 08:53 am:

I agree that's a bad idea. It's best to stay off high speed highways with a slow car. You can usually find another way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Unless there was no way around a high speed road I myself would never put my car in that situation. Even then it would be just from one exit to the nearest one. Here in Florida most of the I roads are 75mph thus making the traffic run between 80 or 85mph. I cant image how fast a car would come up from behind, possibly not giving the driver time enough to hit the brakes. I remember a few years ago I almost slammed a slow moving car just because I didn't notice how slow they were going in the hammer lane. That said, I wish that drive the best of luck in there venture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Yeah ...

That is exactly what it is going to look like to other drivers behind the English Adventurer/Writer with no practical experience in owning or operating a Model T - let alone driving one on American roads - who is planning on driving Coast to Coast from East to West .....

In The Real World ......

Driving a Model T on modern high speed roads is a Death Wish .....

But the folks who keep encouraging him in his " adventure " ....

You keep right on doing it ......

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 09:46 am:

It's a little early for Hershey don't you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Even though it is technically legal for a T to go on the highway, it's definitely not a good idea, unless you have a Montana 500 car or a souped-up speedster, and no regard or value for your own life :-)

The misses and I accidentally got onto the interstate once (and the fast lane to boot), and it was terrifying! We pulled all the way over to the shoulder immediately and proceeded to drive on that. We must have gotten 500 feet before we got pulled over.

I explained to the officer that we accidentally got on and wanted to get off the highway as soon as possible. He was completely understanding and told us how far the nearest exit was.

Whenever I go somewhere in my T, I always use the "Avoid Highways" option. It can be a real life saver!

Stock Ts don't belong on the highway, unless being pulled along on a trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:11 am:

FJ, there is no need for your moral relativism here. The Brit making the cross country trip said himself that he would be taking "Small towns & back roads."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:27 am:

That's a bad intersection on I-40, marker 347 where the traffic is coming off the mountain and everyone is going really fast then there is the long steep hill he is going up, I am surprised he got this far, around Cookeville is a whole different deal.
They should have been over on US 70 which runs parallel to I-40 across the state.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Unfortunately, Bill came upon this car, so we don't know who it is or whether they will ever see this forum. I agree that it is not wise to use the interstate. However in a few lightly traveled places for short distances, it can be OK especially if there is no other way around.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Not too many options down here. Most locations are given by how far you are up the road (mile 0 is at the end roughly mile 130 is at the top) and which side you are on. Speeds range from 35-55 if you drive the speed limit you are a hazard as there are decent stretches with no passing lane. If you drive faster cops average 1 every few miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

I know 1st hand its a bad idea. Back in the late 80s when interstate speeds were 65 my aunt was killed and uncle severly injured on I-69. Had 4 miles to go for their exit. 1919 roadster with extra lights. Rearended by a dually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

If I had to driver a T on an interstate I would be in the break down lane with more than a couple flashing lights.

Isn't there minimum speeds on most highways?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

Interesting question about speed on a rural interstate...most are posted at 40mph. Gee... there seems to be a few fair questions on occasion about the speed of a Model T...consensus at times seems to be 40 mph....40 mph for a car that is basically designed to run between 25 and 30 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

I strongly suggest one of these battery powered magnetic strobe lights at the rear of your T:

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=73481&itemnum=91 265&title=Four-Function%20LED%20Strobe%20Light

These catch people's attention better than anything. And many drivers associate these orange strobe lights with tractors and bulldozers which really makes them take notice. If someone behind you is texting while driving these could be the difference between life and death.

Yesterday a bus driver in Montreal was filmed texting while driving, see:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/montreal-bus-driver-caught-on-camera-texting-while- driving-1.3474800

(Message edited by m2m on June 26, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

Colorado State Patrol states: Any vehicle traveling 15 mph (or more) below the posted speed limit is impeding traffic and will be cited. This is enforced on ANY roadway or highway.

I can't argue with them as slow vehicles are a serious hazard as many have stated here.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

When somebody has their head down texting, all the lights in the world won't do a thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Mark, not so; people who text and drive do still take a quick look at the road every few seconds (unless they're drunk or drugged of course). Beauty of orange strobe light is it's very likely to catch their attention in that quick glance unlike a solid red LED rear light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Constantine, I hope you're right - hopefully every few seconds is enough at the high closing rates involved!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

So what is the speed limit on the I40 where this picture was taken?
You might guess where this is going but maybe the car hauler and the T are being held up by the semi in front? hee hee

I know the interstates are not the same as our SoCal freeways so my opinion is sort of tainted but I have to say I feel as safe or more so on our freeways with my Torpedo than some of our city streets and highways. The truck or trailer max speed limit is 55 which is not like an interstate where the limit is 80+. My T is happy all day long at 45 to 55+ and especially if there are no stop lights and Moms with quick braking to get into McD's.

I felt very safe driving a roadster on last years Montana 500 with a 99% interstate course and topped out at 72 and had to pass a car coming down from Butte.

Not every T or driver is happy at different speeds and I've been on some National tours on local highways where others were going their 25 to 30 with lots of backed up traffic and I was pretty scared at times.

Ralph RDR Ricks, RIP always used to say "You can always go slow with a fast car". He drove his T on a couple of Great Races.

Average speed this year for the M500 was almost 55 for 581 miles.

I do drive a bit closer to the right shoulder and the out of state freeways generally have nice wide shoulders which are nice.

YMMV Drive Safe and Often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Gene, the speed limit is 70 on this part but most traffic is travelling around 80/85.A bad place for a T.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Looks like he made it. Here's an article from the local news.
http://www.ydr.com/story/news/2017/07/16/whats-like-driving-100-plus-year-old-ca rs-cross-country/482986001/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Jon Crane at Rochester Mich would like to purchase your packing box where do I send the bread>

jon Crane
493 Ridgewood
R0chester Mich

cranejon@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:40 am:

There's no reason to drive a T on an interstate in Tennessee, except to cross the Mississippi, Tennessee, or Cumberland Rivers.

Tennessee sports plenty of wonderful old highways proposed and built before after the War Between the States; and many were restored beyond their glory during the 1986 Homecoming.

Even as pervasive as are the driving idiots in the state, Tennessee is a great place to tour in a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

Dave is a member of my local HCCA "Susquehanna" Chapter, and he related his cross-country drive to us at our last meeting. He and his son flew out to California to purchase the car and immediately headed east with it. I believe they drove to Louisiana, and then later up here to PA. Unbelievably (to me, anyway), they had no major problems except for when the floorboards caught fire.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

I have been on I-40 many times in new cars and heavy truck traffic is enough in ANY car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 11:20 am:

I have seen "Minimum speed 45 mph" on some interstates. Common sense should tell us that driving a 40 mph car on a 70 mph highway is a bad idea. As was said earlier, I would use an interstate only if there was no viable option, and then for the shortest distance possible. On another topic (The Montreal texting bus driver) - he should immediately be fired. The Montreal authorities say that they cannot act on the basis of a video and must see the infraction themselves? Then I guess that if someone murders another person in Montreal and a cop doesn't personally see the homicide happen, the killer goes free? Wow!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration