How to marry new starter switch to original switch bracket.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How to marry new starter switch to original switch bracket.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Got what appears to be a 1920 frame in the family T and A barn. Original starter switch bracket is mounted to the frame with rivets and another thread suggested that this was unique and I should keep it that way.
But, only the bracket is attached and no switch. The replacement switches I have purchased and viewed appear to be a pressed fitting and do not separate from their bracket, although the buttons can come apart oror repair.

If the intent is to keep the riveted bracket in place, how would you get a starter switch and button affixed to it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

Starter switches varied quite a bit, maybe low bid outside supplier!
Below are some of mine.
Have you tried this one from Langs?
https://www.modeltford.com/i/c/1457l.jpg
Perhaps cut it loose from the new bracket and button goes up thru your bracket to bolt from underneath.
If you don't get it fixed with new parts ,let me know and some of the pieces I have might do the job.

a

oo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

Layden, as I'm in the market for a starter switch, is the one from Lang's a good one, or are there better ones out there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

I'm now questioning the wisdom of keep the original bracket due to the rivets and then welding or drilling bolt hole in the bracket to make it functional

I'm just wondering how the original switch could be disassembled from the bracket and a replacement switch cannot. Any originals out there that might show how they were orginaly constructed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 10:44 am:

Robert

The T foot switch, typical late style is easy to take apart.

This one was so gone, the bronze contact strips were just wasted away ,so repair was to save the bracket, cut out a slot in it, and install a new Tractor Supply foot switch from the local TSC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

Robert,what Dan says above,plus,instead of the universal TSC use a switch for a 9N-2N -8N Ford tractor.l seem to recall,maybe,those match right up to that 1919 style frame bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 12:50 am:

8N ford uses a small switch to signal a solenoid while 9N and 2N uses an actual starter switch similar to a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 02:05 am:

Jeff-point well taken.l was relying on fallible memory.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration