Great Model T Club day

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Great Model T Club day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

Today our local club, Firelands Timeless T's group, participated in an event held annually at a Military Training place called Camp Perry. This is the annual rifle matches, usually hosted by the NRA and the CMP group. This year it was just the CMP. We were invited to bring our cars for what is called the "First Shot" opening ceremony. It's quite a thing. I had the honor of carrying three WWII vets in my '13- a man who survived Normandy, plus in the back seat a gentleman and a lady who was also a Marine Vet! Super nice folks. The gentleman carried the colors to what is called the Memorial Plaza where the flag was raised, in conjuction with a B52 and Douglass Torpedo Dive Bomber. Quite an impressive ceremony, and an honor to transport these Vets on my part. Afterward, our group took a fun tour around Marblehead Peninsula and Johnson's Island, sort of famous for being the site of a Prisoner of War camp for Officers of the Confederate army during the civil war. There is an archeology group there doing a "dig" on the prison grounds, we were given a brief guided tour of what they were doing. Very interesting. Now for some pics!

Lined up where we were fed a great breakfast before the ceremonial festivities. A bit chilly.

Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur presenting the colors to one of the Vets for the flag raising ceremony. His name is Lyle, naturally I forgot his last name.

Lyle and Katherine in my '13 awaiting the trip to the Memorial Plaza for the hand-off of the flag.

B-25 Bomber Flyover. Very impressive. They did three fly-over's.

Lined up after going thru the toll gate to Johnson's Island. Still chilly even at 2 PM!

Last one! This thread's getting too long! :-)
The instructor guy explaining "the dig" to club members while volunteer students dig away. Has to be a bit tedious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Thank you Tim W for sharing this.
I have often said that one of the most incredible things about the antique car hobby, is the things you get to see, that you would never have seen yourself. Someone in the club knows of the wonderful park, just a half hour from your house, that you never saw. Another member knows somebody, that has connections for some incredible preservation group. Then there is that private collection that is rarely seen by outsiders. Tour with an antique car club? You may get to see it all.
Great photos!
And meeting WWII vets still walking? Priceless!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Yes it was a great time today just traveling down the road and seeing all these Model T's ahead of you makes you feel as if you stepped back in time. Here are some more pictures of our fun time.
Lined up for the flag presentation.
today
Tim Wrenn and two of the guests he was driving she was a Marine in WW2.
today
Always glad to let young ones try one on for size they might be the next caretaker.
t
Honor guard ahead of the T's
t
Flag raising, this is always great to see.

Lined up outside out side the vintage aircraft museum and diner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

Very nice, Tim and James. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Thanks for the great photo addition Jim, but ya didn't HAVE to put my mug in there!! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Good on ya Tim, looks like a great day well spent. You are right about the weather, BURR. JD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

Looks like it was a great time. Thanks for the pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

Wonderful event and so cool to see those Model T lined up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration