Making wooden spokes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Making wooden spokes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Larsen on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Been practicing making wooded spokes. Finally have jigs made to produce every spoke the same. I practice with oak and made 5 wheels. I can lay the wheel flat and stand on it and the spokes due not move. I installed 2 wheels on the axle and they run true. I am ready to start making them out of hickory. The mills here in southern Minnesota buy logs from the southeastern states. They due not know the species of the hickory.It looks very nice straight grain and dried to 6 percent moisture. Does any one have leads on shagbark or shellbark hickory as this is what I would like to use. Thanks
Model T wooden wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Nice! I have made enough for two wheels. Decided it would be faster to get a second job. Still need to do the other two.

I bought shagbark hickory from a cabinet shop in St. Paul. Don't recall the name, but it is on hwy 61 just north of hwy 36.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

My farm here in nc has a lot of shag bark hickory
We call it scaley bark . There are about three kinds here shag bark and another that has a big
Hickory nut we use the wood from both as Lumber third is a pig nut hickory has small nuts that just sort of dry up it is not as good for lumber. Do y'all have hickory up north?. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

I have a friend with a sawmill and a dry kiln
I may be willing to trade wood for some spokes.
It would be best if I sawed them into blanks and shipped them in boxes.philip

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration