OT - Need advice on cast Iron repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Need advice on cast Iron repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

I would like to have a cast iron hinge bracket repaired that is part of a Model T era 20 quart ice cream freezer. Here a modern version of the part to give you an idea of what I am dealing with:

http://www.countryfreezerstore.com/country_freezer_fits_white_mountain_hinge_p/c f20-1200.htm

Mine is broken horizontally across the upper pair of mounting holes. The part is about 5" wide and about 1/4" thick where it is it broken. In the past, there were several small weld shops in the area we could rely upon for good work at fair prices on jobs like this, but they seem to be becoming a thing of the past, and I don't know who to ask for advice.

Should something like this be welded or brazed? If I find someone who thinks they can do the repair, what questions should I ask to be sure they really know what they are doing? I don't want to have it repaired only to have it break right away when I go to bolt it together. I can make a jig to hold the two pieces in the proper alignment, and it would be easy to ship if I need to send it somewhere to get the proper expertise. Should I even fool with it, or should I just pay up and replace it?

I am always impressed with the practical technical knowledge that is shared on this forum. Any suggestions you guys have would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 07:31 am:

Marc,

It can be welded but brazing will be less expensive, faster, and almost as strong as the original cast iron. If you need a lot of strength, then have it welded. A good welder can explain and advise much better based on his equipment and experience. Seek out a good quality welding shop and talk to them.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:54 am:

As Terry indicates, brazing is a good option. It's also the option that is less prone to damage, as it generally requires a lower skill level to do. Welding cast iron well is something of an art, however, even such as I, have successfully brazed cast iron. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 11:30 am:

If it has a bearing in it, remove it before welding or brazing. Ask the potential repairer if he pre-heats for welding or brazing. Otherwise; something that thin will break up like a potato chip. The normal V-notching will be necessary.

Looks like a mighty pricey part for the steel
fabricated example. A good backyard welder could duplicate that in short order if you can't find an iron welder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

Cast iron or cast steel,and yes some grades weld better than others.The new hinge does not show much but going slow and peaning every 1/4 inch till touchable i would guess any 10 year old kid with a buzz box and some 3/32 nickle rod could do it.Brazing while cheap and easy will contaminate the part and welding can not be done.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Braze it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

If it's broke and you're broke then might as well try it yourself. This e-brake bracket was preheated each time before wire welding with no slow cool down.
Vern

e-brake broken bracket
p2
p3
p4
p5
p6
p7
p8
p9
p10
p11

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration