Removing Front Wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Removing Front Wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

I need to remove my wheel to have it respoked and I've never done this before. I got the cotter pin out and the castle nut off but I'm not sure as to the next step. To pull the wheel off, do I need to remove the roller bearing or do I apply jaw pullers at this point to get it off? And if the bearing has to be removed, what is the proper method and tool?Front Wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

The next piece in line has to be removed. Unscrews the same way as the castle nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

Jerry, the outer bearings thread onto the axle. The R/S is turned clockwise to loosen, and the drivers side is turned counter clockwise to loosen. After the outer bearings are off, you should be able to pull the wheel off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

Thanks. Will I need a special tool? I'm leery about using channel locks or a vice grip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Meant to say spindle, not axle. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Big adjustable wrench will work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Jerry, do you have the tool that removes the hubcaps? If you do, the other end fits the bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

Jerry, This tool comes in handy when doing this job. Not necessary but handy none the less. One hole for the hub cap, one for the hex nut and one for the outer bearing not sure what the last one is for. Jim
The unpainted one is I believe for the wire wheel hubs it has the tangs that reach in farther on those hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

James, I don't have that tool, though I've seen it many a time. I'll try the big wrench idea from Dave but if it starts to deform the bearing I'll go ahead and purchase one from Chaffin's. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

Jerry, put the wrench on the two flat spots you see on the bearing, turn the same direction as you turned the nut to remove it. I've yet to find one seized on the hub, they usually turn very easily

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 12:29 am:

Then use a punch to tap out the inner bearing. It pops out quite easily. I usually put the wheel on a couple of 2 x 4's with a piece of newspaper on the ground for the bearing to drop onto. It will stay clean that way. The seal comes off with the bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 12:57 am:

Don't be afraid to lube the heck out the threads on that spindle as you remove the outer bearing.
Even awash in WD-40 or some-such lube as that spindle appears a bit beat up to these eyes.
:-)
I've used a curved jaw #10 Vise Grip on those bearings but well, that might not be the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 01:32 am:

James, I've just seen those tools. Must be very useful. Been working with truck and bicycles, I might get this tool. Right after we installed the new truck wheels, I'll be restoring a 1940 Schwinn B707.

Have fun with the project Jerry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

I hope your spindle threads are better than they look in the photo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

Big crescent wrench works fine Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

They are, Larry. That angle and the lighting does make them look pretty chewed up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration