A Novel Way to Soften Up a Tire Prior to Mounting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A Novel Way to Soften Up a Tire Prior to Mounting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 12:32 am:

Today I learned that even when the day isn't blazing hot, it's still possible to use the sun to heat-soften a tire for mounting. -I put the tire and inner-tube on the front seat of a parked car with the windows rolled up. -A half-hour later, the rubber had softened up so nicely, I thought I should share the tip.

I also learned that it's not particularly difficult to mount a rear tire on a wheel that's still attached to the car. -Had figured the wrap-around rear fender would prevent sufficient access, but with short tire irons, it really wasn't too bad. -Took ten or fifteen minutes once I had the axle up on jack-stands. -Guess having done it enough times, I've gotten good at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 07:12 am:

Bet the inside of your car smelled great.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 07:45 am:

Smelled like a hot car, that's all. -This wasn't a new tire, so it didn't stink. -New tires don't really need to be heat-softened, they're pretty soft right out of the wrapping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 12:40 am:

I will have to remember this in the winter!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Laying it out on a hot asphalt driveway or street accomplishes much of the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 12:38 am:

Last summer I had 4 new smooth black 30x3-1/2's to mount on Budd Wire Wheels freshly powder coated.

I layed the tires out on my concrete driveway for a while. When I went to pick them up they were so hot I had to use my welding gloves. I checked the temperature and each tire was between 104 to 120 degrees.

I must admit they almost fell over the rims with no damage to the finish.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration