Wheel Wobble

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wheel Wobble
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

I know this was probably addressed before but my 27 with wood wheels and Kelsey rims has about a 1/2" run out on one front wheel. It is definitely in the steel fellow not in the rim. Is there a way to true this up without taking the hub and spokes out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Possibly. First, check to make sure that the six hub bolts are tight, and if not, tighten them, then recheck your runout. Just tightening the bolts might be enough to bring it into true. I have heard that Ford's original spec for new wheels was 1/4 inch of runout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

Dave,

You really need to determine if the hub flange is bent or cracked. 1/2" is getting to be a lot. To do that, you can either observe to flange itself as the wheel rotates or remove the hub, (best way). To remove the hub you do not have to remove the spokes. Remove the six bolts, (assuming they're not just loose and the actual cause of this), and drive the hub out of the spokes while at the same time, supporting the spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Thanks, I will check the flange. The nuts are tight as I just had this wheel apart last year and refinished the spokes. I re-tightened all of the nuts on all 4 wheels a couple of weeks ago and staked them. This is a Canadian Kelsey wheel and the spokes are shaped differently so that they come apart and go together quite easily without using a press. I found this out after I built the press before I started working on the wheels. The spokes are also marginally shorter than the US style which I bought and refinished before I started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Just checked the hub flange. No run out on it. Definitely the felloe which in turn distorts the rim and tire. I'll have to take it apart, straighten it and/or rearrange the spokes. I do have a few other complete wheels but not sure if they are Canadian Kelseys or not until I take them apart to see the shape of the spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

Dave, the Canadian spokes with the taper front to back on the hub end are easily discernible just by looking. If you are in doubt, remove the outer plate. This will show the six bolt holes through the spokes. On Canadian wheels the holes will be off centre on the line between the spokes due to the differential taper.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Dave,loosen up the hub nuts,then grab the tire at the top and shove back and forth to see if this loosens the spokes.Then,probably with a helper,determine where the "high" or "low" spot is,and Chiropractor,shove and pull the wheel to get as true as you can.
I have had to do this several times after having wheels apart.
And,also,if the car doesn't have St.Vitus' Dance the way it is,l would be tempted not to mess with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Dave, I have a '25 Canadian Tudor with wood wheels. It was restored in upper Michigan some time ago and I have no Idea who did it. The person I bought it from bought it from Oklahoma several years ago. The 21" rims are unusual as the 4 bolt tabs look to be folded over to make a heavier tab. Do you have pictures of yours?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Thanks for all the great input. Jim, I will try as you suggest. Richard, I will try to get a picture to you in the next couple of days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

Richard. Here are pics of the 2 types of wheels on my T. One wheel is as you described while the other 4 have solid lugs. Both lugs are marked Kelsey although pretty much all that is visible is the K and part of the Y as the bolt hole is drilled through the name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Richard, with 21" wheels the rims will be for straight side tyres and the rims will be split. If your rims are correct for a Canadian car, they will have a 1/4" approx, hole on each side of the split, on each side of the rim. These are there to accept a unique tool used to collapse the rim when fitting tyres. Of course, your rims may well have been swapped for US style rims which do not have the holes.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration