Help Identifying this car and accessories

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help Identifying this car and accessories
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin helinski on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

I recently posted this picture on Ancestry under my great great grandparents Charles and Bertha (Bublitz) Hintz of Burlington Wi. I'm figuring it was on their farm in maybe the mid 20's.
After I put it on I realized it was a companion picture to one a distant cousin posted some time ago. Same people except all standing in front of car. Only could see top of windshield in that one and never really noticed there was a car behind them. It's not a great quality picture as it's just a picture I took of a small picture a cousin had and couldn't scan it then.
Question I have is, what year car is it and what are all the accessories on it?
I'm figuring it was probably one of the son's car as I can't imagine they would of drove in that if they drove at all.
Any help would be appreciated. I think it's a pretty cool picture. I've had it for a while but really never looked at it too close until I posted it on there.

T racer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

1914 Saxon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Hi Kevin,

Ed is correct, the car is a '14 Saxon.

Regarding any accessories; well, the Klaxon horn (near the driver's hand) MAY be an accessory as I thought that a bulb horn was standard. The small small cylindrical object just ahead of the door and behind the headlamp (yes, that is where Saxon put the headlamps on the '14s) is the speedometer and you can see it's drive cable drooping forward to the drive unit on the left front wheel.

What a treasured photograph of family history. You are fortunate to have it. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin helinski on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Thanks,
Sure looks like that's the same car except for the front fenders and missing running boards/ splash pans and I like them unique high mounted headlamps!
Looks like it sits a little lower than a T.
What's all that sitting behind where that splash pans would be?
I don't think I've ever seen one of these but kind of a slick looking car for the time with the wire wheels and all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

Good looking Saxon back then! Nice pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

Once upon a time,I had accumulated around 75% of what it would take to build a Saxon Four,with considerable duplication of some parts.But,life intervened. I wouldn't have fit in it,anyway.
Somewhere, I still have a carburetor for one that I was going to use on another project.
They were a very interesting design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 12:14 am:

Just so you don't think your relatives were early hot rodders and stripped parts off the Saxon to make it faster here is the exact model shown in your picture, labeled as a 1915 but Google shows a restored 1914 of this same model.
Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin helinski on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 12:43 am:

Wow, Thanks, That is really quite the car for a 1914. Must of had a couple different models of it obviously but that is the exact one except for the top, even the two tone paint!
Wish I knew exactly who's car it was and what year it was taken but regardless.
I'll have to look up the specs on it but I already updated my Ancestry information with the correct description.

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin helinski on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 01:46 am:

Found an ad for it.
Like how it says it is NOT a cycle car!

saxon 1914 ad

At $395.00 the new 1914 Saxon was a good buy on a two passenger roadster and well below most American Automobiles. All Saxon Four's were equipped with a four cylinder Continental engine rated at 12 horsepower and a two speed transaxle. Advertising claimed the Saxon - "Best Two Passenger Automobile In The World At Anywhere Near Its Price" and "Everybody Ought To Own A Car - Now Everybody Can Own A Car"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration