NH Spray Nozzle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: NH Spray Nozzle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

I can't get the Spray Nozzle out of an NH. Can any one help? If I use heat, how much is needed? Red hot? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

Hello after I get it hot I always pour some Motor oil down The hole and then wait till it cools down usually turns right out
Thanks again Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 12:21 am:

Thanks Bill, I'll try heat with KrolOil. The grooves for the screwdriver are still OK. Our Club is working on assembling a Touring to be raffled with proceeds going to The Society For The Blind. I'm hoping to get the engine running like it should.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 12:29 am:

heat...and then dump in KrolOil...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 12:49 am:

Yes heat then put in oil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 01:33 am:

Really no need for oil. Heat casting HOT and quench in water

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Or just let it "air" cool down. Burning out the old gasket is what I think does the trick. Quenching could cause it to crack. I just heat them, let them cool, and then use a screw driver that is a perfect fit to the slot in the nozzle. You may have to custom grind one, but it is worth the extra effort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 08:27 am:

I've done lots of carbs and yet to have one crack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 09:05 am:

There isn't a need to quench (but it likely won't hurt anything either). What happens Hal is when you heat the carb body and the offending brass piece red is this. The brass tries to expand but isn't able as the cast iron being more dimensionally stable prevents it from growing. Now, we all know things shrink as they cool and since brass has a different rate of expansion it also will contract at a different rate. The offending item will shrink and pull away from the cast iron breaking the bond. I never fool with taking a carb apart without going straight for heat. The clubs book on carbs that states to use WD40 is just a cruel joke played on many. WD40 is ok as a cleaner and for displacing water, nothing else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Heat then water. Immediate results. No waiting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Don't get it red hot, just glowing or even just good and hot. If you get too hot can melt the brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

This is not a huge problem. First mount it upside down in a vice. Heat the stalk with a propane torch. I've never had to get it anywhere near glowing at all. My "trick" if you will is get it hot then drip a few drops of water straight down the hole onto the brass nozzle and screw it out. The shock/shrink of the water works wonders. Your biggest must is a tool (ground screwdriver, flat stock, whatever) that fits the slot in the nozzle EXACTLY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 12:00 am:

Thanks for the help!!! I bought a new screwdriver that just fits. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. That expansion/ contraction theory sounds good.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration