Giving Rides

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Giving Rides
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Last night my wife and I after supper did the usual and took the T around town and saw a young man and his son outside, stopped and asked if he wanted a ride. He said sure and got his daughter also. We drove around for about 45 minutes. The last time we gave him a ride he had to walk home because I had a flat tire. When we got home my wife put it on Facebook that we just stop and ask people if they want a ride? Well now every body in town posted they want a ride. It looks like we will busy the rest of the summer giving rides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 10:29 am:

That is a great thing to do. Not all of us can bring ourselves to do that but those who do seem to find it very rewarding. Some riders may get bit by the bug and help grow the hobby.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 10:50 am:

I've thought ahead to the time when I start driving my touring and giving rides. A lot of people would like to get a ride in a T for weddings and other special occasions but I wonder about the liability issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 11:03 am:

Dean, I googled Adams, Mn. You won't be busy for long, that town is really small. It looks like heaven!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Poisoning the minds of youth. Excellent plan ! (insert evil laugh here)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Ed, Maybe if I give em all a ride at the same time it will look like my profile picture. Actually there is close to 700 people in town even counting the ones that recently died.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Did someone tell you that they are cheaper by the dozen???
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Model T rides in the 1915 runabout were very much in demand at last weekend's family reunion. There were several repeat customers. Sam, age 8, made it clear that she expects me to have the touring ready next year. I guess I had better get it done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Steve she wants the touring done so you can teach her how to drive it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

My experience is that the neighbors who complained the most about noise, junk, dust, etc., during the restoration process will be the first to want a free ride, once completed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Robert, the Mayor was the first one on Facebook to ask for a ride. She is my neighbor and maybe staying on the good side of her by giving a ride I might be able to keep more T parts outside. I think I will take advantage of the situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Not to put a damper on things but how's your insurance? I'd ask them about coverage concerning giving rides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

There not paying for the ride so I would think it is no different than giving a ride in a modern car. The car is fully insured. I hope this is not going to turn into the argument of seat belts, helmets and rollbars again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Here in New York State, child seats are required up to the age of eight, with certain exceptions of height and weight. -I don't think there's any getting around that, nor would I want to. -Most police officers know that only cars below a certain age are required to have shoulder harnesses, older cars require only lap belts and cars older than that are allowed no restraints at all. -With that in mind, giving non-commercial rides to spectators should be okay, at least as far as the local constabulary is concerned.

On the other hand, riding in a Brass-Era car is about as safe as riding a motorcycle, but without the ability to accelerate hard, brake hard or maneuver radically to get out of a tight situation. -From a moral point of view, it's only right that any passengers are given to understand that before climbing aboard. -And because I'm not stupid, I also require that any minors be accompanied by at least one parent during the ride. -Then I drive like I'm carrying a carload of full propane tanks. -Invariably, people who get rides appreciate the heck out of it and the experience, I've been told, becomes a vivid and happy memory. -Yeah, there's a bit of liability involved, but I think it's worth a calculated risk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

When I brought my car home after a 500 mile round trip to get it, a neighbors 11 year old daughter came down and asked for a ride as soon as I got it off the trailer. Took her and her parents and their dog around the block.
Now my dog tries to talk me into a ride any chance he gets. I don't think he has a very good lawyer if things go awry.

Arthur

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

I'm giving rides on the 4th for a charity event in my town. To avoid insurance issues there is no payment, just donations, and I can't turn away anyone that doesn't donate. Should be real fun, its in conjunction with tours of our 1901 water tower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

I'll give a ride to anyone who asks. From 8 to 80, cripple or crazy! An interesting contrast to Steve, we always have my in-law family members over for just about every holiday occasion on the calendar. You think any of 'em show an interest in a ride? Nope. Oh well. Dan, we've made a monster out of our dog and riding in the car. Only thing, she's not allowed in the T's for a variety of reasons. But the Model A is HER car! And she can tell the difference of the engine noise clear from the house. She knows when it's time for her ride!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

I think giving rides is a very important part of our hobby. Our family reunions have always involved "rides" for everyone. But one of the most rewarding for me was a couple years ago. Some of my wifes family that I had never met came to the reunion. One of her cousins was a double amputee. He had lost his legs while serving in the army protecting all of us here at home. I had been giving rides most of the day, and never really had time to notice that he was constantly around the car. He had never said a word about wanting to ride. Then it dawned on me to ask if he wanted a ride. He said he would love to, but there was no way he was getting in my car with no legs. I said there were plenty of strong young men to get him in the car if he wanted to go. So with the help of four strong cousins we just picked him up and put him in the back seat. I usually have a "short route" that I normally do most of the rides. But I also have a 5 mile
back roads" scenic drive for other occasions. I took him and his wife for a nice dirt road tour. You could tell that the ride was the most fun that he had in a long time. During the ride I was explaining that we were driving around the base of "Woolverton Mountain" (the same mountain in the song) When we got back to the house I could tell that the ride meant a lot to him. So I suggested that we take the 12 mile tour up on "Woolverton Mountain" and I would show him Clifton Clower's homeplace. So with a small ice chest and some cold drinks and snacks, we spent a couple hours out in the T. Several weeks later we got a call from his wife. She explained that the ride and the leisure fun of the day were what changed his whole outlook on his life and situation in general. He is still progressing for the good, and his wife told my wife that when he learns how to use his new legs he hopes to be able to get in the T with no help... So, you never know how a small thing like a Model T ride could affect someone. Have fun and be safe ....

My wifes cousin and his wife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Donnie

thank you so much for sharing that story. Really brightened my day. You are the man...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 01:21 am:

I have been driving my truck for work almost every day for the last month.
The number of people that stop to ask questions, make comments, want to
take pictures is amazing. The amount of pleasure this stupid things brings
to total strangers is worth 1000x "the price of admission". So many smiles
and so much joy. Not exactly sure why it has such an effect on so many (I
have other old cars that do not get such a reaction), but it really makes a lot
of peoples' day to see it. Bringing that kind of joy to strangers is one of the
best parts of having one of these. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 02:55 am:

If anyone wants a ride and I can I give them one in any of my Model T's I do.

One time stands out. I had the door of the garage up and a passing school boy about 11 years old walked pass and spotted the Kamper. He asked me what it was and I showed him it and the speedster that was also in the garage. He was really interested and asked lots of questions.

A few weeks later I was out in the speedster and drove into the driveway as he was going passed, I asked him if he would like a ride and he jumped at it. Thinking in the back of my mind there might be a problem I reasoned as we were out in the open and everyone including all the other kids coming home could see us driving along it would be Ok ( bit hard to be invisible in the speedster) He lives only about 400 yards from my place with his mother and younger brother.

I did a trip around the block and then to his house and let him off, he was disappointed his mom was not home yet with is brother.

When I got home my wife was there and she asked where I had been and I told her i had been out giving the kid a ride in the speedster. She panicked and said I could be in big trouble taking a kid for a ride without the parents permission. Within a minute the door bell rand and there is the mother and the two sons standing there. Told you so says the wife!!!

When I opened the door she thanked me and asked if it was possible to take the other son for a ride too as he wanted a ride also. So off we go around the block again blowing the whistles as before and when we get back moms there with a camera for pictures and off they go smiling.

About a month later I'm at the local post office in the Town Car when the older son and mum appear to say hi. Seems the boys sent a photo to the father and his reply was to berate the mother for allowing them to go for a ride with a stranger, her smile told me she thought it was OK maybe even stuck it a bit to the Ex hubby.

kids01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 02:59 am:

Donnie Brown - That's the best post I've read on the forum for quite some time now! Obviously, you've done much more than just provide a few moments of pleasure by providing a ride in an old car. I believe you've really planted a seed! If and when the opportunity with your wife's cousin presents itself, be sure to show him a few previous posts on the forum that has to do with custom made hand controls for Model T's for amputees. Because, according to his wife, you've managed to, as she said,...."changed his whole outlook on his life and situation in general", you might just be able to give him serious thoughts about a hobby that he could actually participate in! Talk about an ambassador for our hobby,....you get my vote Donnie! You've "planted a seed", see if you can get it to grow! I just know you've got some great "T" guys in your area that would help too,..... in fact, that U.S. Army "T" ambulance down there in "your neck of the woods" comes to mind,..... FWIW,..... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 07:55 am:

I thank the Good Lord above that I don't live in perpetual fear of being sued by someone for some petty something. I'm sure that those who do, think I'm na´ve. It must be awful for those kinds of thoughts to constantly be on one's mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 08:28 am:

Thank you to several who have posted the real beauty of any old car is the use of it and the people in it. bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 08:57 am:

Donnie, that was really great of you! God Bless ya!

Peter, unfortunately around here it seems, if someone did that they'd be arrested so fast their head would spin. Then they'd be labeled for life as a pedophile. Seems all we ever hear on the TV news casts is how they drill into the kids "stranger danger"... can't look at a kid, let alone "pat" one, look at a girl, on and on. Ridiculous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Donnie, That was great!!! You really did a very good thing for those kids and for our hobby. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

Keith - I think maybe you've got Donnie B. and Peter K. mixed up, but then, it really doesn't matter 'cause they both "done good" for the Model T "community" and our hobby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 12:12 am:

Ridiculous is quite right. Wow.
Thank you for these great stories!
This story pales in comparison to most here but two younger friends I have (30's & 40) love their older Ford pickups (1970's).
This story is way too long. Please excuse.
A good friend was here with his best friend and I asked Josh if he wanted a ride in the T (24 Crappy).
Josh's lady friend calls this place a museum! :-) Too funny.
Or is it something to be very proud of?... Probably.
The couple spent time in the psychedelic 18 Tin Cup having drinks one time as there wasn't room to sit anywhere else in the shed.
Making do for some fun and fellowship! :-) (Jim posted a pic of them on his Facebook.)

Hey Josh, you want a ride? Yeah!
Jim, you gotta crank it for me (his second time ever cranking an engine! The first time he cranked an engine, he got his first ride in a 24 Crappy model T).
OK!
I got in the seat and Josh hops in and slams the door just like I ask.
Jim works oh so hard at the cranking process, I'm reminding him to take it easy, it ain't hard work. Relax Jim. He's still nervous.
Crappy has a dizzy and is a real peach of an engine to start. It has 2 fair cylinders and 2 Lenoir cylinders (virtually no compression). Read worn out.
4 pulls later, it's sitting there picking them off perfectly, proud as can be. Me too!
As I'm reaching over for the mix control, he is ABSOLUTELY stunned at the fact this car was started with just a crank and said as much.
A crank. Stunned.
So we back around and I give him his first ride in a 24 Crappy model T Ford.
Both of those fellows will learn to drive a model T. We'll see about Josh's lady friend...
Hehehe, just wait until I introduce these people to a derelict 25 Ton Truck (Lucky) with a Warford... They'll pee their pants. Soon as I can get tires on it.
My wife doesn't really care to ride (go for a toodle) anymore. :-/
She says I have to get the top on the 18 plus she won't be seen in it until I paint it. That'll come. Finicky 'ol girl. ;-)
Then we can go for ice cream or to the store together. Until then?...
People love rides in these old things.
Most of the Grand-kids LOVE this old junk! If it has an engine, they want a ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 07:38 am:

Last week I gave a ride for 3 kids that were here visiting relatives, a 10 year old girl and her 2 brothers ages 7 and 4.(I did get permission first) I ask the 7 year old if he likes old cars? He says "yes, and my dad has an old pickup" so I ask what year and he says "It's a 99' Ford" I guess to a 7 year old that is very old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

Duane, Josh's lady friend reminds me of back in '71 my cousins came to visit. Now one girl cousin was a real "rebel hippie" very non-conformist. My A, Ma Green, at the time was still "under restoration" but running (see pic), so I was giving the cousins rides, but not her, she wouldn't be seen dead in that "funny-looking car." Guess she had to be non-conformist like all her friends! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Funny how that works Dean. :-)
Great story David! "funny-looking car." Hah. :-)
Good heavens, do I see bare skin and bikinis? On a model A? Oh my. What'll be next? Oh wait, you're out West...
It ticks one of my daughters off !BAD! to insinuate she doesn't know how to crank the T for rides...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Yeah, that pic was taken in the Mt. Shasta 4th of July parade. I couldn't find the better pic of us getting ready to go Tubing down the river--I've no idea what happened to that pic!
I'm fairly certain that's my Sister and my cousin in the bikinis--my memory is slipping!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration