'26 top bows question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: '26 top bows question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

I am trying to get the top bows set and ready for the new top.
It seems that the front wood was replaced and I need to know if this is correct or how far off I am.

Should the wood go deeper in the bracket?

Is this look ok?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

You need your windshield up and tight. Then measure between the two posts. In fact you can put the brackets on the posts. The spacing must be exactly correct for the top to fit the windshield posts. It could vary a fraction of an inch depending on the particular fit of the windshield top section. Mark the center of the top bow and measure the distance from one side to the center. It should be the same on both sides.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Is the corner piece particle board or wood? Is that a crack across in the 3rd pic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

Looks 'bout right. Could be into the metal a bit more, should just about touch the curved thin wood tack pieces in the sides. Just be sure you have the proper measure from iron to iron.

But remove that Phillips screw, it will tear the vinyl wrap and wind flap on that front bow.

The wood bow should be riveted to the metal iron, at those little holes underside, lots of torque locking and folding back that front bow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

This is my 26 top. You can see they just about touch in cornerpiece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Dan, The screw is to just hold the wood in the frame, it will be replaced.

Dallas, That is a great shot. Exactly what I needed.

I unwrapped the curved part and it feels like paper or something. Looking at Dallas's picture Now seems that I will be learning how to bend some wood.

The other bows I wasn't going to touch.
Thank you gentlemen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

Steve,strips of thin plywood will bend around that curve. Cut enough to get the thickness required, glue them and push them into the iron. It will hold them while the glue dries, and the plywood will give a perfect medium to nail into.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 07:50 am:

Allan, Thank you for the process. I would have been trying how to get the curved piece into to the iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Dallas, One more question. Are the two silver screws ground down or a rivet of some kind?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

Rivets from Langs. I used 2- 5/16 pieces of poplar to steam bend for corners. Ash for top bow. I made my rivet tool from broken concrete chisel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Here is the a picture of the "cardboard" stuff that I pulled out of the corner.
Now What kind of wood should I replace it with?
Once I get the passenger side done, I will get the drivers side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

My steamer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Poplar works well. I believe thats what was in mine originally. 5/16strips soaked overnight took about 30 minutes in steamer. No glue needed. I kept about 5psi on pressure cooker for 30 minutes. Have clamps ready. I had about 3 minutes work time. Mine set for a few days in clamps before I finished. Do not release clamps and let wood set. It will straighten out over a day or so. Dont ask how I know. Some say they boiled the wood to bend. Sounds like either method will work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, July 07, 2017 - 07:40 am:

I was able to find some straps of wood from Lowes.
What do you think. How hard should the wood be?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration