TT bearing measurement ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TT bearing measurement ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

What should hyatt bearings measure for TT to be in spec? Thickness of race also?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 01:26 am:

Are those the bearings in the muffler or the radiator ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 06:10 am:

Fender bearing withe the rolled edge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

:-)
.562" for the TT axle Hyatt's. Up to .005" under is acceptable if not pitted.
Book only talks about physical signs of wear (a significant shoulder or lip near the top outer edge and should be replaced) for the sleeves is what I found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

Dallas,

Others may have differing experiences, but when I took my TT axle apart I found everything OK on the left and a badly worn axle bearing surface and bearing on the right. Even with the severe excess wear to the bearing and axle, the sleeve was OK.

I disassembled my TT rear end because of a lot of play at the right hub. The play was primarily caused by wear on the axle bearing surface, not the bearing nor the sleeve (the bearing had OK diameter at the center of the rollers but they were badly rounded at the ends). Since you obviously have concerns about the condition of yours, I strongly suggest you include checking the axle itself for proper size at the bearing surface.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 01:07 am:

If the Hyatt bearing is ungular in detent, will the Mutri bearing and
side vent shim pocket need disassembly and inspection ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Burger, Dallas, you both should know darn well that Burger's method is AFTER the ball-unit introduction.
The Mutri bearing is just a clever disguise for the plain bearing (bushing style) if you would've read the history.
Burger, really?
Oof.
How are those Hyatt's and sleeves, Dallas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Duey, they cleaned up well. Nice coat of gear lube should keep the rust away till I need them.
Plain bearings? You can only get those in Kansas. They have a large flat spot on them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

If the ball units use the Timken type overage dampeners, are those the
type that were introduced in late 1919 with the special finned cover ?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration