Watts Clutch Install Instructions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Watts Clutch Install Instructions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Nicodemus on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 07:01 am:

I have a transmission that came in parts and I noticed it has a Watts clutch setup. The disk appear to be fairly new as the ink stamping on them is still visible on the fiber disk.I have been searching for the instruction for them here on the forum and the internet but not having any luck. The fiber disk are all alike except one is thinner than the others and I want to make sure it is in the proper location. Any help would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 07:40 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tLpCghRMMw&index=5&t=671s&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyJBkYDfseU3JnQLF93FwY4j

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Nicodemus on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 08:42 am:

Thanks Mark, exactly what I was looking for and the videos will make this a much easier job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

Are Watts still being made/sold?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

Check with R.V. Anderson. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

RV is making the '25 & earlier ones. Last I heard, he had not yet begun to make the late '25-'27 ones.

BTW Glenn, those instructions posted above are a bit generic. There are different instructions for the '09-'25, and the late '25-'27 Watts clutches. I'm sure that RV would be glad to send you the proper instructions for your clutch. Or I can look at them when I'm at my shop tomorrow if I know which years of clutch you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

I just watched the video posted above, by Mike Bender and Bill Howell. It gives a good explanation of how to install the Watts clutch. The only discrepancy I saw was that Mike installed the cotter pin in the clutch drum bolt in a way which would prevent its tightening up, rather than loosening. :-) Other than that, it's very informative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

I wonder about what it says in #7, put disk with lining on top or outside? I would think it would be better to have a steel disk between the clutch ring and lined disk. Or is there a mechanical reason to put per the instructions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 04:45 am:

Mark - there's indeed a mechanical reason for putting the lined disc on top closest to the clutch push ring. If you put a steel disc on top you'll get a torque between the clutch push ring and the driven plate - the holes in the driven plate will be worn oblong after some use and eventually it will be unusable since the adjustment screws in the three levers won't touch the pins in the push ring.

The fiber disc is driving through the brake drum and the driven plate and thus the push ring is connected to the brake drum. The steel discs are connected to the engine through the clutch center, so that's why there'll be torque between the push ring and the driven plate with the disks in the wrong order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 10:06 am:

I was thinking more along the line of the larger outer disk to give the clutch ring more surface to grab as narrow as it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Never mind, I forgot the clutch ring does not spin, so it only needs to press down.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration