The Keller Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The Keller Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

(See original thread:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/664605.html?1476362571 )

As many of you know, Mr. Mike Bender generously donated a 26-27 chassis and engine to me about a year ago. Numerous members have donated parts to the project including NOS tires, tubes, rim flaps, spindles, hubs, wire wheels, 36 Ford headlights, a steering stabilizer, Warford transmission, spare rear axle, and a set of accessory brakes.

On Monday, Mr. Bill Everett delivered the chassis along with all of the aforementioned parts. Mike still has the engine in his shop as it was not in as good of shape as he had hoped and is giving it a good once-over (a gross understatement) including a set of aluminum cam gears and oil slingers (donated by Mr. Dan McEachern), and aluminum Ricardo-style head, and a performance ground cam (all donated by other anonymous members).

I have been fortunate enough to source a 1922 patent dash-mounted wound clock/pocketwatch (still works!), a pair of Stromberg LF's, and Mr. Dennis Plank was kind enough to supply me with a beautiful Atwater-Kent Type LA distributor and a pair of period-correct coils.

I do not currently have any pictures of the car sitting in the garage- I will take a few tomorrow! Regarding the name, I am really not sure what I want to call it. Part of me wants to name it the "Free-T" as it was given to me (with donor's names on the cowl), part of me wants to simply call it "The Keller Speedster", and part of me wants to call it "The Bender" in honor of Mr. Mike Bender himself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

I like the Keller Speedster or maybe Special.
Just build a good period correct speedster and that will please me.

I have started building the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Sounds like its coming together. Ready to see the photos. I will be following your project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 02:04 am:

James, glad the parts have made it to you. It took awhile, but things like this usually do. I'm with Mike , "Keller Speedster" (or "Keller Special") has a nice sound to it. As to "The Bender" Mike is too much of a "grumpy old fart" to have anything named after him . (sorry Mike I had too" I also agree "period correct" is always the best way to go. But the main thing is have fun and be safe....... Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 07:15 am:

I would probably go with your first idea of "Free T" but shorten it to F-T. Depending on how things are running the "F" could be many different words . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank in Humboldt, TN on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 08:47 am:

You could call it the Forum Special with the word Forum in Ford script. Sounds like you have a great start on your car.

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but James asked me to post a picture of my carb set up so here goes. He wants to run his two LF carbs similar to this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 09:18 am:

I think "Keller Special" sounds better with the short vowel in each word. My opinion at no charge!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 09:50 am:

James -- The "Keller Special" sounds good to me as well. I'm glad to hear that most of the parts finally made it to you. You now have plenty of fun work ahead. :-)

Someone who earns his living transporting cars and parts volunteered to deliver the "package" to you a year ago, with some fanfare here on the Forum. But he never found it convenient enough to follow through on that. I'm glad that Bill E. stepped up to fill the breach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Thank you, Mike.

It was a wonderful trip! With James' interest, the hobby is in good hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

I'm still undecided on a name, but I suppose that is more of an earned title.

I plan on running the LF's I acquired in a similar manner to Dennis' RF's.

The other day, I ran into a slight dilemma- what is the size of the nut on the bearing retainer for the main shaft on a 6 speed cast iron Warford? My guess is either a 1-13/16" or 1-3/4" wrench. The bearing is serviceable but I'd like to remove it to grease it. I do need to replace both bearings and races for the secondary/lower shaft though.

Today's project was the partial disassembly of the rear axle donated with the Warford by Robert Brough. I was unsure of the internal condition but was pleasantly surprised. I was hoping it was a 3:1 ratio but as it turns out it is an 11/40 3.63 ratio. This may be a slight blessing though as the overdrive with the shorter rear ratio will yield a little more power and acceleration on hills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 09:32 am:

The Warford overdrive in combination with the stock rear gear will give you an overall ratio of 3:1. That should be plenty high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 09:54 am:

James, I have a Chicago and a Ruckstell with 3:1 gears. Definitely recommend you drive yours first with the Warford and 3.63s. I love my setup and wouldn't change it, but I wouldn't like the 3:1s without the Ruckstell.

If you end up adding a Ruckstell to the mix that's a good time to swap to 3:1s. Especially if you've got a light car and a strong engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

My question remains- what size bolt is the bearing cover on the front of a cast iron Warford?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Finally, some pictures (though they aren't great).
The remainder of the parts is currently residing in the basement with my dad's and my small horde of VW and Corvair parts.

The first picture is the bearing retainer in question- I believe it is 1-13/16" and I have bought a deep crow's foot wrench to loosen it.

The white stuff covering the differential is oven cleaner acting as a degreaser- the whole thing was full of congealed axle grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

My first task was disassembling the warford to inspect and clean the innards. I was not overly surprised to discover that the countershaft bearings were completely shot. After a little bit of reading, I ordered these Timken replacements for the the same price as one genuine Timken.

Check the bearings out here: https://www.amazon.com/07100-07204-Tapered-Bearing-QJZ-Premium/dp/B01N8S305N/ref =sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499048396&sr=8-1&keywords=07204

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

Sorry about the lack of updates, guys. I'm currently working two part time jobs- as a waiter at Waffle House and a mechanic at a classic British car shop and life has been pretty hectic.

My recent project was re-wiring my dad's 1958 VW panel van that has been of the road for a year in dire need of a wiring harness. Now that it runs and drives again, I should have time to do some work on the T.

I am going to try and borrow a block and transmission from somebody local to use for measurements for the floor holes, firewall, hood, and cowl.

James

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration