Intake manifold whistle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Intake manifold whistle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 01:12 am:

I have this manifold whistle on the car I just purchased. Would this be a period correct addition? Any opinion on the effect of the performance?
It just seems that it would be a big draw on the power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 01:53 am:

That 'Wolf Whistle' is likely a J.C.Whitney item from the 50's or 60's.There were T era vacuum whistles that screwed in a spark plug hole,and then the plug threaded into them.
My observation has been,that the old timers l knew that were always tooting these things,suffered from a lot of burned exhaust valves,due to always leaning out the mixture
In moderation,won't hurt anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 01:56 am:

And,forgot to mention,that appears to be a very scarce early aluminum intake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 02:57 am:

I picked up an all metal one recently at a toy train show--$5!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 04:03 am:

Yes, looks like the semi-modern version. There were a fair number of whistles, horns, and other noisemakers, going back to even before the model T. Some were intended as warning devices to save pedestrians (Bermuda bells go way back!). Others, just to make noise.
It is a personal preference. Personally, a horn (as required) is plenty for me. I do tend to prefer a good Klaxon over the T's duck for some model Ts. Brass Ts (before July '15), I like just the bulb horn.
But that is me.

If you do choose to keep it and use it? The trick is to give the carburetor knob a quarter turn richer just before pulling the string/chain. That way, you are less likely to burn a valve.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration