STOP PRESS!!! EVERY CAR IS A MODEL T FORD....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: STOP PRESS!!! EVERY CAR IS A MODEL T FORD....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 04:58 am:

Today I received a photo, taken in a colonial New Zealand town, approx 1922/23.

We have very little to go on to establish the proportion of Model Ts on NZ roads. But we have, however, done some sums and the results will be in the book.

The photo I allude to is of a main street, in a well-known NZ provincial town. It shows lots of people going about their business - I think it may be a Christmas shopping day - and there are 13 vehicles in the street. Of the 13, two are bicycles. One is a horse and cart. All the rest are Model T Fords (mostly Touring Cars with their hoods up, plus two trucks both laden with people but seemingly not travelling together).

No, there's NOT a Ford dealership in sight! And no, it is not a black and white photo of the Wellington branch of the MTFCA rally! It is a real photo of colonial NZ and it must be added to the forthcoming book!

Meanwhile, here is a teaser! Just a bit of the picture. Maybe there was a really good sale on in town because clearly, as soon as these two Ts had parked, everyone piled out and didn't bother even closing the doors! "Close the door!" - "NO! I was out first - YOU close it!" I hear them calling!

cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 06:15 am:

Prefix letters on number plates might help to work out location. Each town or province was given the letter code to put on plates.
E.g. W for Wanganui, R for Rangitikei

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 10:19 am:

We are all trained to "close the door" due to long doors, door chimes and dome lights. None of that back then. There would be little reason to close it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Would prevent any wondering Mutt from jumping in with messy paws looking for food scraps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Mom told me when I was about 4 I would go around closing doors saying, "Shut the door!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

Dane - I know what town it is, and even the name of the street! When you see the full picture, you'll see that some of the cars have registration plates, while owners of others presumably couldn't be bothered! That is how disjointed our registration system was before mid-1925.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration