'26 - '27 pickup bed floor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: '26 - '27 pickup bed floor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 09:09 am:

I continue to make progress on my rough pickup bed resurrection project. Last night I took my 1" x 8" boards over to a buddy's house. We used his table saw to cut them to the proper width and cut the grooves for the bed strips.

I'm not going to use a hump plate. When I put it on the cut off touring I plan to raise the base enough to clear the hump. One thing I need some help with is the supports for the battery access cover. I believe there is some wood attached to the bottom side of the floor boards around the battery access cover opening, that support the steel cover. But I don't know what these looks like. Can someone explain? I've looked for a photo from under the bed showing these, but not found one. If someone could post a photo, it would really help.

Thanks Guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

Steve

Since your bed is on the frame rails, there won't be a metal floor under the bed as normal with runabout pickups.

The battery door is dropped in and rests on the metal flange of the front panel recess, and along the sides of the metal floor of the runabout deck.

To keep your battery door from falling on the road, just add some wood cleats underside to support the door. Make the cleats just wide enough, so they won't interfere with placing and removing the storage battery. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Thanks Dan, that's what I figured, just haven't seen how it was done. It should be easy enough to make. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 06:55 am:

Before test fitting the floorboards, I had to do something about the Swiss cheese edge of the Z-panel. Rummaging around the shop I spied a piece of angle iron from an old bed frame. After cutting to length and drilling the bolt holes, it was welded in place. Here it is tacked welded. There were a few places that the base metal was too eroded to weld. But it's firmly in place. While not pretty, the boards have a sold edge to sit on.z

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

The floor is coming along. All fitted, then removed and primed.

bed1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

The new wood fits pretty well in the old rough bead.bed2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Looking good! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration