TT in the weeds, and several questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TT in the weeds, and several questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Been traveling a lot lately and stumbled onto the TT chassis pictured. Engine# corresponds to aug 25, so it's an early "improved" powertrain but it predates the start of chassis numbering, so no way to know if the engine is original. It has a Ruckstell, with Hall Scott cast into the housing and the Ruckstell tag still present. It must have had a Warford or another aux trans at some point as there is an approximately foot long gap between the driveshaft and the 4th main. The rear wheels are there and still holding it up but the rims are rusted out and I'm 99% sure they are junk. The owner will entertain offers to sell

A few questions:

1. Did the "improved" engines get ALL of the changes with the start of production in July 1925? The changes I am aware of include; wider clutch and brake pedals, boss at the back of the block for bolting to the hogsheads, and wider brake drum.

2. Why does the rear end say Hall-Scott and have a Ruckstell tag?

3. And considering the condition is unknown, what's it all worth, and in particular, what is a TT Ruckstell worth by itself?

4 Lastly, I know it is unrelated to this particular TT, but since we're talking TT's, did Ford ever make a "wide track" TT. Wide track production and TT production do overlap for 17 and 18.

Now some pics

TT in weeds

Ser#

Ruckstell TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

All indications are that the improved engines did have all the improvements you listed.

Hall-Scott was the predecessor of Ruckstell until Ruckstell bought them out.

A TT Ruckstell that was pretty complete, with the correct shift lever and all sold for $10.00 at the auction held during The Homecoming in Richmond in early June.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

TT ruckstells do not seem to have any demand, one of our local club members who was trying to GIVE one away finally brought it to an annual tour to do so... if he hadn't done that it would still be in his barn.

As for the other questions, I think Keith nailed all but the last one which I don't know but would tend to think not - someone else might know the answer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

I've paid as little as 20$ for one to as much as 250$ for a cherry complete assembly with high speed gears

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Grover Ruckstell worked for the Hall Scott Company, where he improved their Perfecto two-speed axle, which became the Ruckstell. Glen Chaffin has written a book telling the whole story.

Apparently the TT units don't usually bring much money. I was given one. I'm glad I was, because I intend to use it on my TT project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

Thanks for the replies and insights.

On reflection, I'm not surprised they are almost worthless. All they offer the model T hobbyist is a way to make your TT even slower. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

Looks like a good start on a TT project, though those back wheel rims are made of unobtainium.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Gary, My TT C-Cab does 43 MPH. How fast do you want to go?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Scott,

Um, 43 mph is fast enough.

But a Ruckstell offers only an underdrive and direct, and therefore makes no contribution to that. I'm thinking you have the high speed worm gears and a Warford, or some other overdrive. Correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

Only high speed gears. Dome pistons, stock cam and carb. 20 by 700 tires helps a bit. I have a Warford but its not in yet. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

Fenders look super nice. Engine would be valuable. With both ends of the water jacket open,I would hope the block is not cracked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

I picked up a TT engine and rear end recently. The drive train had a 3 speed Muncie, a 2 speed Rocky Mountain driveshaft, and a Hall-Scott Ruckstell. If anyone wants all of the drive train, I will bring it to Whitefish July 16. A friend put a Muncie in his coupe and I think he put it in backward as he said it was so very high geared he took it back out. With the removable coupler, I suppose that is possible, and might that be an option to get some taller gears in a TT?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Kurt, sent you a PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

I wish someone near WV would give me an extra TT rear. Could use one for my Dump truck project. Doesn't seem to be much of those parts left in my neck of the woods. -Matt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration