Gas Headlight & Bracket Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas Headlight & Bracket Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

Two questions for the members that have knowledge in 1909-1910 Fords. I cannot figure out what is supposed to hold the E & J Gas Headlights to the forks. The brackets on the sides of the lights do not have set screws, what was used for this? Second question, are the headlamp forks cast steel painted body color?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Are the set screws on the inside?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Mark, I will check on that. Thank you. Do you happen to know if the forks were painted body color?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

Yes, they were painted body color like the rest of the chassis those early years. Here's an earlier thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/193170.html?1298651730

I would think the originals were forged? Repros are made in cast steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

On my '10 the set screws are on the inside and the forks are forged

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

This might be a basic dumb question, but what is the easiest way to tell between forged and cast?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Mark, the set screw holes are right where you said they should be, just need to order the set screws. I just got this car and am learning a lot about the 09's. Thanks for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 10:55 am:

If they are cast, just drive your car for awhile, and wait for them to break off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 07:59 am:

Larry, Leon Parker indicates they are cast. Here is the link discussing it.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/193170.html?1298651730

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Set of '09 E&J from Kim Dobbins has threaded bolts inside that secure to the post.

No bolts or set screws outboard on the brass lamp post bracket. These lamps were elec. adapted, and the threaded bolt also held the elec. lamp fitting.

Original forks likely are malleable iron, some repro can be found in cast bronze or brass, and they aren't so good. Leon Parker has made new ones in cast ductile iron too.

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on July 02, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Thanks Dan for posting those pictures and the information. I would like to know what the clearance is between the inner fork and the radiator shell, as I have one side much closer than the other. Not sure if they are reproduction forks or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Can't help with measure as don't have the faux '09 anymore.

But just set the lamps in place, and measure what is off.

The forks should be vertical to each other and the lamp should slide down without much trouble.

Could be the fender bracket is bent and lets the fork tilt?

Just try to get everything symmetrical.

Don't think Ford worried as much about how the lamps fit or lined up :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 07:20 am:

What is the source for that last photo Dan? I would like to study that closer and get a clearer image. Thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration