Center Door body wood package, plans, blue prints, or supplier

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Center Door body wood package, plans, blue prints, or supplier
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Hello All,

It was suggested by a member, that I start a thread in the forum and a link to the classified ad request I made. Here's the link:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/767156.html?1498836951

I hope that link works for everyone.

My wife and I own a 1920 Center door sedan. The wood is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. Thus far, we have not found a supplier of complete packages. We have found Charley who has a set of patterns. We are currently building a relationship with him. There have been several great posts made by esteemed MTFCA members. I appreciate all of their input.

We are looking for blue prints, plans, patterns, a supplier, and any other pertinent information. Right now, it appears there will be 2 Center doors needing wood kits; ours and another member's.

Any input you can give will be welcomed.

Thank You All,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

Looking at your link I see Mark mentioned and provided a link to Ford Wood in Utah.Their quality is top notch and they use the correct wood, whereas some of the vendor supplied kits do not. What is also nice about Ford Wood is, you go to their web site list and pick any piece or the entire kit for you car...something the vendors kits wont do is let you only choose what you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your post. I am familiar with Ford Wood. A fellow T enthusiast has one of their kits. We are both extremely impressed.

Now the downside: Ford Wood does NOT make a Center Door kit. We have contacted them and there is some interest in reverse engineering a kit. It would be much easier if I could send them blue prints or plans to work from. Right now the best I could do is send them what I have, (and it's not complete) and let them work from that. So far, they have not gotten back to us with a yea or nay for the project.

Thus, we are still looking and getting as much education as we can.

Thank You,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, June 30, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

I wonder if Joe Fellin would have any wood for patterns...his restoration was chronicled in a T magazine over nearly a year and as I recall he completely rewooded his car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 08:10 am:

Hello Scott,

I am not familiar with Joe's work. Do you have any contact information or could you contact Joe on my behalf? I would be interested in borrowing, renting, or buying patterns, plans, or blueprints, to help me in this.

I am also hoping to talk to Charley about this prospect as well and find out which vendors to shy away from.

It would be a great learning experience to read the articles on Joe's restoration. I could learn a lot there, I'm sure. If you could push me in a direction towards finding the Magazine and articles, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you for the information. It's a good lead for me to follow up on.

Have a Great Weekend and SAFE Weekend Everyone,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 09:38 am:

I have the MTFCA CD of Joe Fellin's Center Door. I watched it and will do so several more times to see more closely what and how he completed his restoration.

Thank you Andy Loso for sending the original articles from 2006/2007. Some great information there.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 07:32 am:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

Still looking for more information.

Thank You,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

I'm glad you're bumping this subject Terry.
I'd like to be placed on the list for a kit for a later Center Door also. Like if ever. :-)
My son and I have even pondered using steel to do the framework for the body panels. Still a huge task yet very wrong.
I thought I was doing so good late last year when I ran across a half a$$ed earlier body with half a$$ed wood in it.
My wife raised such a ruckus about the one we have that has to be built up by me from almost no wood whatsoever and not a different body.
Ugh. Hormones.
Project pushed even further back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:58 am:

Hi Duey,

I think that makes 3 of us needing body wood. I'm hoping I can find a vendor soon. With 3 potential customers, that should generate interest and willingness to provide some kits.

I'll keep you in mind and let you know if I can work something.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Have you tried contacting Don Booth over in Bay City, MI? He's done C-Doors before, and may be able to point you in the right direction. This was one of his threads:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/626486.html?1458827837

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

Hi Marv,

No, I haven't contacted Don as yet. I'll sure get in touch with him.

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

Marv,

Email sent to Don. We'll see what he has to say if/when he replies.

Thank you for the lead and email.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

Marv,

Heard back from Don. He is taking the summer off and not building anything. He has graciously offered to answer my questions and steer me in the best direction. Which, I need a lot of. He has already given me some great advice. I like his advice and plan on using it in this build.

Thanks for the referral. It seems to be working out very well. Now I just have to build my own wood.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John lynn on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

It just so happens that I needed floorboards for my 1919 and someone in the club here in Spokane had a complete floorboards from his car that I copied I do have some pictures with dimensions and I drew plans once upon a time but I'm not sure I still have them but I do have some wood with brackets and some misc center door stuff if your interested let me know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Hello John,

Thank You for your generous offer. I have sent you a PM. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Terry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration